MELANIE WALKER is a partner in the firm and a deputy head of the 150+ lawyer Litigation group in the Chicago office. Melanie has successfully defended Sidley clients in a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, including numerous accountants liability actions, securities and shareholder derivative cases, bankruptcy-related proceedings, and other proceedings involving complex accounting and economic issues. Melanie also actively represents accounting firms and their partners and employees in investigations brought by the SEC and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB). These litigation and regulatory matters have involved a number of accounting issues, including accounting for derivative and hedging instruments, long-term contracts, non-GAAP measures, and revenue recognition. Melanie also has worked with—and successfully challenged—expert witnesses on various technical subjects in addition to accounting, including regression analyses, valuation principles, economic and statutory damages, the operation of the securities markets, and loss causation.
Melanie regularly wins cases on dispositive motions in trial courts and on appeal. An experienced trial lawyer, Melanie has tried cases in both state and federal court and before arbitration tribunals. Melanie also has negotiated favorable settlements for her clients short of trial after creating leverage through the litigation process.
Prior to joining Sidley’s Chicago office, Melanie was a law clerk to the Honorable Milton Shadur, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, from 2000–2001.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- U.S. District Court, C.D. of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, E.D. of Wisconsin
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2000 (with honors, Member, Law Review)
- Reed College, B.A., 1996 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- Milton I. Shadur, U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois (2000 - 2001)