ALAN WEIL has a diverse and varied practice, concentrating on the financing, development, leasing, acquisition, and disposition of commercial properties, the formation of real estate joint ventures and partnerships and real estate loan work-outs. With over 40 years of experience as a real estate lawyer, Chambers USA (2022) notes that “Alan provides a depth of knowledge that few other lawyers can provide.” Alan’s career deal list includes some of the most important real estate developments in New York City, around the country, and in Mexico. These range from early deals, including the construction financing for the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square, to the financing and sale of the Times Square Hilton Hotel and Embassy Suites Hotel in Battery Park City, the acquisition of a pre-packaged bankruptcy by Bertelsmann of 1540 Broadway and more recently the development, financing, and joint venture arrangements for 8 Spruce Street (New York by Gehry), the financing of the Coach Headquarters Building at Hudson Yards, and Wells Fargo’s acquisition of a 500,000 square foot commercial office condominium unit at 30 Hudson Yards. Alan’s career has included every type of real estate deal and almost every type of asset—he has represented and continues to represent both landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions and both banks and borrowers in permanent and construction loan originations as well as in loan restructurings and workouts. Alan’s lending practice has frequently involved securitized loans and structured finance transactions (junior participations, A/B Note structures, preferred equity and mezzanine financings) and the acquisition of distressed debt on real estate.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representation of a developer in multiple joint ventures and financings to develop a 76-story mixed use building in lower Manhattan.
- Representing a shopping center developer in the acquisition and financing of shopping malls across the U.S. as well as in joint ventures acquiring shopping malls.
- Advising a major commercial bank in the acquisition of a half million square foot commercial office condominium unit at 30 Hudson Yards in Manhattan.
- Representation of a public REIT in the divestiture of joint venture interests in 14 “big box” retail centers in the New York City area.
- Representation of a mortgage REIT in the origination of loans, including construction loans, mezzanine loans, and preferred equity and the sale of whole loans, junior participation interests and B-Notes, as well as the restructuring of troubled loans throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a public REIT in joint ventures and other transactions to redevelop and repurpose existing shopping malls across the U.S.
Alan is recognized in Chambers USA (2007–2023) for his “extensive experience in real estate transactions and financing, particularly for commercial properties in the hospitality industry. Clients consider him to be ‘an incredibly talented attorney,’ adding: ‘He is tough but responsive and an incredibly skilled negotiator.’” Alan is also recognized in The Legal 500 US (2010–2017), Who’s Who Legal: Real Estate 2015 and 2016 and is listed as a “Best Lawyer” in The Best Lawyers in America (2012–2020) for his work in Real Estate Law.