JACK D. YAMIN is an associate in Sidley’s global Insurance and Financial Services group in the firm’s Chicago office. Jack focuses his practice on a variety of corporate, securities and regulatory matters relating to the insurance and financial services industry. His work includes the representation of both buyers and sellers in connection with mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions, reinsurance, corporate finance, joint ventures and public and private securities offerings. Jack regularly represents insurance companies and other clients in the insurance and financial services industry in connection with domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and reinsurance transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures of books of insurance business through reinsurance and other alternative transaction structures, as well as the formation, capitalization and financing of insurance companies and related ventures.
Recent transactions on which Jack has advised include:
- Acquisition by Kuvare Holdings subsidiary Guaranty Income Life Insurance Company of Lincoln Benefit Life Company, making Kuvare an insurance conglomerate with assets exceeding $13 billion.
- Representation of Swiss Re Life & Health America in the reinsurance of individual life insurance business from Security Life of Denver in connection with the Irish scheme of arrangement and related Chapter 15 restructuring of Ballantyne Re.
- Representation of Athene Life Re in the reinsurance from The Lincoln National Life Insurance Company of a quota share of a $9.6 billion in-force block of fixed deferred and fixed indexed annuities.
- Representation of Sirius International Insurance Group in its merger with Easterly Acquisition Corp., resulting in a combined publicly traded company with a market capitalization of approximately $2.2 billion.
- Sale by The Hartford of its run-off life insurance and annuity businesses, known as Talcott Resolution, for $2.05 billion to an investor group that included Cornell Capital, Atlas Merchant Capital, Global Atlantic, TRB Advisors, Pine Brook and J. Safra Group.
- Acquisition by Heritage Life Insurance Company of Professional Life & Casualty Company.
- Counsel to Athene USA and Athene Life Re in connection with the acquisition and divestiture (including through reinsurance) of various books of life and annuity business.
- Sell-side counsel in the sponsored demutualization of Standard Mutual Insurance Company and its sale to National General Holdings Corp.
- Markel in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of CATCo Investment Management.
- Represented Florists’ Mutual Insurance Company in its mutual affiliation with Sentry A Mutual Insurance Company.
Prior to joining Sidley, Jack was an associate at a national litigation firm where he focused his practice on class actions involving technology and data privacy, consumer fraud and banking litigation.
Jack graduated cum laude from Northwestern University School of Law. As a law student, Jack was a member of the Center on Wrongful Convictions, where he worked on police misconduct cases as well as post-conviction petitions. Jack also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Marvin E. Aspen of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and as a mediator at the Center for Conflict Resolution.
Prior to law school, Jack worked as a tax consultant in Chicago, where he advised businesses throughout the country in their dealings with the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois - General
- Northwestern School of Law, J.D., 2013 (cum laude)
- Binghamton University, B.A., 2009 (summa cum laude)