GRIFFITH GREEN is a partner in Sidley’s Washington, D.C., office and a member of Sidley’s Securities Enforcement and Regulatory practice, which received the 2019 Chambers USA Award for Financial Services Regulation, and was named the “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation in 2020 and 2017 by U.S. News – Best Lawyers.
His practice is focused on the defense of public and private investigations, litigation of enforcement proceedings and internal investigations. He regularly represents public companies, broker dealers, financial services firms, hedge funds, accounting firms and individuals in investigations by the SEC, FINRA, DOJ and state regulators of alleged accounting fraud, disclosure irregularities, broker-dealer misconduct, SEC rule violations, insider trading, and FCPA and OFAC violations. He has also conducted internal investigations in a wide range of matters involving allegations of criminal, civil and ethical misconduct. Griff has extensive experience with electronic discovery and is a member of the firm’s Electronic Discovery Task Force.
Griff regularly advises U.S. and non-U.S. clients on the development, enhancement and implementation of corporate ethics and compliance programs. He also provides training for Boards of Directors, compliance and legal departments, and company personnel on FCPA and regulatory compliance.
Griff’s recent matters include:
- Defending public companies in the technology, energy, defense, construction, healthcare and agriculture sectors in SEC accounting and disclosure investigations.
- Representing broker-dealers in SEC and FINRA investigations of a broad range of alleged regulatory violations.
- Representing a major investment bank and employees of a large commercial bank in investigations by DOJ and state Attorneys General of residential mortgage backed securities (RMBS).
- Defending a large U.S. manufacturer in a joint SEC, DOJ, OFAC and BIS investigation of export controls and FCPA issues involving three sanctioned countries. This matter was closed without any penalties imposed.
- Conducting, on behalf of FINRA’s Special Review Committee, an in-depth review of FINRA’s regulatory examinations of the brokerage firms of Bernard Madoff and Allen Stanford.
- Representing U.S. and non-U.S. companies in the manufacturing, pharmaceutical, medical device, service and oil industries in internal and government investigations involving allegations of international bribery and violations of the FCPA in over 35 countries.