HAN MING HO is a co-leader of the firm’s Asia Investment Funds practice. He focuses on fund formation of open-ended and close-ended entities and related regulatory matters, as well as regularly advises fund managers on the establishment of business operations in Singapore, together with the establishment, structuring and registration of investment funds in Singapore and various other Asia Pacific jurisdictions. In addition, Han Ming’s regulatory experience includes advising on compliance and licensing issues relating to securities and financial advisory law, as well as liaising regularly with Singapore regulators.
Han Ming has extensive experience counseling clients on the structuring and formation of a broad range of investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate funds, exchange-traded funds and other structured financial products. He has advised leading fund sponsors and managers, investment banks, financial institutions, venture capitalists and institutional investors.
Han Ming has a track record as a leading authority in the funds area in Asia, having been involved in various significant landmark deals in the region for over a decade. He has been recognized as a Band 1 leading individual in the Investment Funds practice in Chambers Asia-Pacific, Singapore chapter since 2008. Clients praise him as “the go-to guy for innovative ideas and insights, and is a great sounding board for industry best practices and trends.” Han Ming was also described as “a premier name for real estate and private equity funds work and his wide range of expertise makes him a top choice for establishing, structuring and registering funds.” He was also praised as one who “knows the market very well” and is a “terrific hedge funds lawyer.”
Han Ming is described as “a market leader… the stuff he does is top class” (Chambers Asia Pacific, 2018). He has been singled out by sources for his versatile experience in private funds, including the structuring and formation of hedge funds and real estate funds. Han Ming is a frequent representative of leading fund managers, who highlight his “client-oriented and commercial approach” and his ability to provide “salient advice on regulatory changes and their impact” (Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2015).
Han Ming was recognized as a leading lawyer in a number of other legal publications including Best Lawyers for Investment Funds and Mutual Funds practice in Singapore; “Legal 500 Asia Pacific” and “Who’s Who Legal: Private Funds” described Han Ming as a “world-class name” who is “widely regarded as the voice of alternative funds in Singapore.”
Han Ming was recognized as an expert in the 2019 and 2020 by Who’s Who Legal Private Funds: Formation.
Examples of Han Ming’s significant experience include representing*:
- Astrea III in relation to the first listed bonds in Singapore which will provide investors with exposure to a diversified portfolio of private equity (PE) funds. The Astrea III PE bonds were subscribed by more than eight times for the US$510 million issue. This landmark matter has been widely recognized as a significant milestone in the development of Singapore’s bond market and is expected to start a wave of similar offerings in the near future. Standard & Poor’s and Fitch have rated the notes, which marks the first time those agencies have rated a collateralized fund obligation since the financial crisis. This transaction was recently recognized by Asian Legal Business Southeast Asia Law Awards 2017 as “Debt Market Deal of the Year (Midsize).” In 2016, this transaction was named one of the “Deals of the Year” by Asian-MENA Counsel, “Most Innovative Deal” by FinanceAsia Achievement Awards, “Best Structured Finance” by GlobalCapital Asia Regional Capital Market Awards and “Most Innovative Deal – Singapore” as well as “Fixed Income – Most Innovative Deal,” by The Asset Triple A Country Awards and Regional Deal Awards, respectively.
- Odyssey Capital Pte. Ltd. and Macquarie Corporate Holdings Pty. Limited as international fund counsel in relation to the establishment of “Tigris Water Fund”, the first Asian focused water infrastructure fund investing in water and waste water projects.
- C-Bridge Capital Investment Management, Ltd. as international fund counsel in relation to the formation of “C-Bridge Healthcare Fund II L.P.”, a private equity fund investing in healthcare and healthcare-related businesses in China and Greater China.
- Dymon Asia Capital with respect to a seed investment by Temasek worth US$500 million to start a multi-strategy hedge fund, “Dymon Asia Multi-Strategy Fund,”; as well as Temasek’s acquisition of a minority in Dymon Asia Capital. Funds that have been established under the Dymon Asia Multi-Strategy Fund include: “Port Meadow Fund”, a hedge fund pursuing a long/short equity strategy focused on the Asia Pacific region, established in 2014; and the “Aventia Fund”, a hedge fund pursuing an Asian equity long/short strategy focused primarily on investments in companies listed on stock exchanges in Asia, established in 2015.
- PTQ Capital Limited on the establishment of a hedge fund comprising a master/double feeder fund structure, the “PTQ Capital Fund”.
- 3D Investment Partners Pte. Ltd. in the establishment of 3D Opportunity Fund, 3D Opportunity (US) Fund and 3D Opportunity Master Fund (collectively, the “3D Opportunity Funds”).
- Overseas Chinese Investment Management (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (“OCIM”), a Singapore-regulated fund management company, on the establishment of their flagship quant fund the OC Fund.
- A U.S. investment bank in relation to the establishment of its first Asian-focused open-ended real estate core fund.
- PGGM Vermogensbeheer B.V. as investor’s counsel on the extension of the fund term and conversion (into an income fund) of CapitaMalls China Income Fund II.
- ArkOne Capital Management Pte. Ltd. on the establishment of the ArkOne Fund, a China focused long-short equity fund, as well as their application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore to become a registered fund management company.
- Heliconia Capital Management (as general partner of the SME Catalyst Fund) as investor’s counsel on its commitment to the Dymon Asia Private Equity (Southeast Asia) Fund, a Singapore-domiciled private equity fund focusing on SME investments in Singapore.
- BlackRock Singapore on its registration of the prospectuses for BlackRock Singapore-domiciled ETFs listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX), namely the iShares MSCI India Index ETF, and the iShares J.P. Morgan USD Asia Credit Bond Index ETF and iShares Barclays USD Asia High Yield Bond Index ETF.
*Includes matters completed prior to joining Sidley.
- Singapore (Advocate & Solicitor)
- National University of Singapore, 法学学士, 1999