FATEMA ORJELA is an award-winning private equity partner whose practice focuses on providing strategic counsel to European and U.S. private equity sponsors. Fatema has experience on the full range of corporate law matters, including private equity deals, leveraged buyouts, strategic mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, equity growth investments, equity and debt restructurings, and management equity plans, as well as related advisory work.
Recent examples of Fatema’s work include representing:
- Apollo Global Management, LLC (through certain investment funds affiliated therewith) and its portfolio, CareerBuilder on the disposal of Textkernel, a global leading AI-powered HR technology provider, to Main Capital Partners.
- Apollo Global Management, LLC (through certain investment funds affiliated therewith) on the acquisition of a majority stake in Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd. from, among others, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- GIC on its investment in Convex Group Limited, the specialty insurer and reinsurer focused on complex risks, which launched with $1.7 billion of committed capital in April of 2019. The investment was part of a GIC and Onex Corporation led consortium of existing and new co-investors committing to invest an additional $1 billion in Convex.
- H.I.G. Europe and its portfolio Vernacare on its acquisition of the industry leading Infection Prevention business providing an extensive range of sharps and clinical waste disposal solutions (including brands Sharpsafe®, Clinisafe®, and eXchange™) from the Frontier Medical Group (backed by Kester Capital).
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) on the acquisition, with GIC, of Blackstone’s 36% shareholding in Rothesay Life, the largest specialist annuity provider in the UK. Under the terms of the transaction, MassMutual and GIC each became equal 49% shareholders and the transaction valued the group at £5.75 billion.
In 2017, Fatema was named as one of the world’s top 30 private equity lawyers under 40 in the prestigious Private Funds Management (pfm) “30 Under 40,” a list of the rising stars of the private funds legal world. pfm (a sister publication of Private Equity International) stated that Fatema is “admired for her sharp legal-technical ability, problem-solving prowess and understanding of interpersonal dynamics.” Fatema was also shortlisted for “Best in Private Equity” at the LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018. She has also recently been named as one of the top private equity dealmakers in London, alongside seven other prominent female private equity partners, by the December 2017 issue of The Lawyer.
Fatema is also distinguished by her work in promoting diversity in the legal profession. Fatema has been included in the Class of 2021 at Law.com’s Women, Influence & Power in Law UK Awards. She was recognized as a “Mentor of the Year,” and for “Law Firm D&I Initiative of the Year,” for her work as London Chair of Sidley's Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women and a member of Sidley's Committee for Assignment and Compensation of Associates. Fatema has also been actively involved in initiatives across the City, including her roles as co-founder of “Women in Law, London” (WILL) a network with over 2,000 members across London aiming to promote and engage the next generation of women leaders in law, a Professional Development Committee member of the “City Women’s Network” (CWN) and advisory panel member of “Oxford Women in Law” (OWL).
Prior to joining Sidley in 2016, Fatema was a partner in the private equity practice of another international law firm.