Chemicals – Authorizations, Restrictions and Bans
- Advising major pharmaceutical companies on REACH compliance issues, ranging from the exemption for substances used in medicinal products and the scope of the Medicinal Products Directive, to pre-registration obligations, designing REACH compliance management structures, SIEF management and REACH registration.
- Advising a global cosmetics company, on the complex application of animal testing bans under the Cosmetics Regulation, in particular the interaction between the Cosmetics Regulation and other regulatory frameworks, such as REACH.
- Advising a multinational manufacturer of dispensing and delivery systems on compliance with the new EU food-contact legislation commonly referred to as the Plastics Implementing Measure.
- Advising a global manufacturer of specialty chemicals, fibers, plastics and advanced materials on a number of EU regulatory matters, including on EU rules on hydrochlorofluorocarbons and EU restrictions on the marketing and use of certain flame retarding substances.
Chemical Hazard Classification and Transport
- Advising an industry trade association in litigating before national and EU courts the European Commission’s decision to classify over 100 nickel substances under the EU Dangerous Substances Directive and the CLP Regulation.
- Advising three manufacturers of an insulation material and their trade association in seeking a reclassification of a substance under the EU Dangerous Substances Directive.
- Advising a major commodities sector trade association on the interplay of the UN’s GHS of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals with the EU’s CLP Regulation and the IMO’s maritime transport codes.
- Advising one of Germany’s largest power companies on legislation in the Netherlands relating to the reduction of emissions from coal-fired electricity plants, including assessing the legality of the Dutch proposals under the laws of the World Trade Organization (WTO), Bilateral Investment Treaties and the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Advising a leading renewable energy producer in developing and implementing an advocacy strategy to support the continued mandate for biodiesel as a transportation fuel in the EU and Member States.
- Advising a diversified multinational with a presentation on climate change and the relevant WTO rules that influence climate change policy initiatives.
- Playing a lead role in negotiating and drafting standards published by the ISO that provide guidance to industry on managing occupational risks related to nanotechnology and on implementing a product stewardship/risk management approach to developing and using manufactured nanomaterials.
- Advising a power company on developments in battery technology as well as on international negotiations and funding opportunities for the development of clean technologies.
Litigation and Transparency Issues
- Representing a mining company and a trade association before the EU General Court obtaining significant victories in cases concerning public access to scientific expert advice used by the European Commission as a basis for adopting product classification legislation.
- Representing one of the world’s largest nickel mining operations in contesting a European Commission directive to classify nickel substances under the EU Dangerous Substances Directive and the CLP Regulation and related litigation in the General Court.
- Representing a trade association in seeking a reclassification under the EU Dangerous Substances Directive and the CLP Regulation of a mineral substance.
- Representing a major mining company in contesting European Commission proposals to classify a substance under the EU Dangerous Substances Directive and the CLP Regulation, and related litigation in the General Court.
- Representing a crop science company in high-profile litigation before the EU General Court and the English High Court on the EU’s restrictions on sales of plant protection products containing Neonicotinoids which are alleged to be harmful to bees.
- Advising multinational corporations on worldwide supply chain management, product stewardship and compliance.
- Advising a multinational manufacturer of dispensing and delivery systems on supply chain communication and compliance with the new EU food-contact legislation commonly referred to as the Plastics Implementing Measure.
Sustainable Production and Consumption
- Advising on the implementation of comprehensive environmental, health and safety management systems, including more than 70 ISO 14001 projects. These projects frequently include broad corporate responsibility and sustainable development issues such as supply chain management, product and service stewardship, and environmental performance that may go beyond regulatory requirements and public/community communication and reporting.
- Advising a global food processing corporation on a variety of sustainability projects, for example on issues related to mass balance, GMOs, indirect land use change and sustainability criteria.
Waste and Extended-Producer Responsibility
- A multinational industrial equipment and computer manufacturer regarding compliance with the EU’s WEEE and RoHS Directives regulating the design and recycling of electrical and electronic equipment.
- A major multinational automobile manufacturer on compliance with the EU’s ELV Directive.
- A metals and plastics recycling and trading company on the relationship between REACH and EU waste legislation.