From the heart of Silicon Valley to technology startups in the Asia Pacific region and beyond, our electronics and semiconductor industry lawyers have helped clients in intellectual property licensing, technology transfer and technology acquisition agreements within a rapidly evolving and changing global economy. With experience advising on semiconductor industry issues (whether front-end or back-end) and advice for clients involved with electronics standards bodies (such as JEDEC, the ATSC, IEEE, etc.), our lawyers have extensive experience in dealing with and counseling on the intricacies of transactional issues facing electronics and semiconductor companies.
We have also assisted clients in organizing and implementing IP licensing projects, as well as defended against licensing campaigns by IP holding companies and sole inventors. Through such front-line licensing experience, our lawyers have helped clients reach advantageously negotiated resolutions of licensing disputes. Many of our lawyers have undergraduate or graduate degrees in engineering, computer science, physics or materials science, and several of our lawyers worked in electronics or semiconductor companies prior to their legal careers. This technical and industry experience enables our lawyers to better communicate with our clients, understand their needs and represent clients in transactions which involve complex technology and high-stakes financial and business issues.
We have particular experience with:
- Memory Technologies (DRAM/SDRAM; Flash; E/EPROM; SRAM)
- Programmable Logic Devices (FPGA; CPLD; PLA/PAL)
- Semiconductor Chip Packaging (BGA; MLA; MLP; COL; Flip-Chip)
- Microprocessors and Microcontrollers
- Wafer/Reticle Inspection and Testing Equipment and Methods
- Tooling manufacturers
- Digital and Analog Television Technology
- Display Technologies (LCD, Plasma (PDP), LED)
- Consumer Electronics (DVD, VDR, telephony)
Recent assignments include:
- We represent a major Korean electronics manufacturer in patent licensing involving Digital TV standards.
- We recently closed a multi-million dollar IP asset transfer transaction involving patents in the field of wireless networks.
- We represented a client in defending against multiple patent licensing assertions by a France-based electronics company involving LCD, analog TV and display technologies.
- We represented a client in patent licensing assertions leading to a multi-million dollar payment from a major Japanese electronics manufacturer.
- We have been representing a global electronics manufacturer in a patent licensing campaign involving standards for information handling systems and computer architecture.
- We represent a client in patent licensing negotiations involving digital media standards against a California-based digital media and software company.
- We represented a semiconductor tooling manufacturer in a patent license and joint development and commercialization agreements, and in a participation agreement among Arizona State University, the Army Research Laboratory and numerous private parties for the creation of a flexible display research and development center.
- We have represented numerous clients in the semiconductor industry defend against and license the Lemelson patent portfolio.
- We represented a Korean cable and fiber optic manufacturer in patent licensing negotiations against a U.S.-based patent owner.
- We represented a major PC gaming company in the acquisition of electronic gaming assets through a Chapter 7 liquidation proceeding.