JUSTIN BENSON practices complex federal litigation, with a special emphasis on the representation and defense of corporations and individuals doing business with, or regulated by, the federal government. Justin has extensive experience in federal investigations and prosecutions relating to the performance of government contracts and private sector participation in government programs. He has particular experience helping clients respond to False Claims Act investigations. In addition, Justin represents clients in complex trial and appellate litigation in federal and state court. He has broad experience in all stages of litigation, including discovery, motion practice, trial, settlement negotiations, and appeals. Justin has been recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, for his work in commercial litigation.
Justin’s representative matters include:
- Represented a large public company in a Trade Secrets Act litigation in federal district court, including multiple rounds of briefing and extensive discovery
- Represented GSA Schedule contractor in connection with qui tam lawsuit and related DOJ investigation under the False Claims Act alleging violations of the price reduction clause
- Represented third-party intervenor in bid protest before the United States Court of Federal Claims
- Represented an individual in criminal sentencing proceedings in federal district court
- Represented major telecommunications company as member of trial team in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Represented major telecommunications company as third party intervenor in the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
Prior to joining Sidley, Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He also served as a legislative aide for a member of the United States House of Representatives.