KAREN KAZMERZAK, a former Federal Trade Commission lawyer, has a broad practice counseling clients regarding antitrust matters involved in mergers and acquisitions and concerning antitrust issues in licensing, distribution, pricing, and competitor collaborations. Serving as co-leader of the firm’s global Antitrust/Competition practice, she represents clients seeking merger clearance from the FTC and the U.S. Department of Justice, and clients that are third-party market participants subpoenaed by the government or that oppose an acquisition. Karen also works closely with co-counsel and economists around the world to develop the best global strategy for clients’ advocacy across several jurisdictions, including in the United States. She has been recognized as a leader in her field by Chambers USA 2018-2021. Hailed as “very knowledgeable and easy to talk to,” her clients appreciate her strong legal acumen combined with her ability to address the business issues in an array of industries.
Her experience includes:
- Obtaining regulatory clearance of transactions in a variety of industries, including those subject to sectoral regulation, such as pipelines, electric generation, natural gas distribution, telecommunications and airlines.
- Representing clients in opposing transactions in industries, such as medical waste and technology used to manufacture semiconductor chips software.
- Advising clients on antitrust issues in competitor collaborations and other transactions across a variety of regulated industries, including airlines, energy and telecommunications.
- Successfully defending auto parts distributor in FTC investigation of its supply agreements.
- Obtaining dismissal of federal-court antitrust claim against major standard-setting body.