Alexis A. Cooper
ALEXIS A. COOPER is counsel in Sidley’s Chicago office, where she practices in the Corporate and Securities group with a focus on the firm’s Private Equity practice.
Ms. Cooper regularly advises private equity sponsors in connection with the structuring, negotiation and implementation of leveraged acquisitions, management buy-outs, growth equity investments and dispositions of privately held businesses. She has represented clients throughout the middle-market across a wide range of industries, including consumer products, medical devices, textiles, packaging, juvenile products, boating, manufacturing, distribution, services and technology. Ms. Cooper’s representative private equity clients include Shoreview Industries, Thompson Street Capital Partners, CHS Capital, Prairie Capital, Prospect Partners and LaSalle Capital Group.
In addition, Ms. Cooper has extensive experience advising a variety of clients on all aspects of complex merger and acquisition transactions, general corporate matters, joint ventures, and restructurings. Her practice includes representation of:
- Private equity sponsors in structuring, negotiating and consummating complex platform acquisitions throughout the United States and abroad.
- Private equity sponsors in preparing and implementing disposition transactions to exit their investment.
- Private equity sponsors in connection with structuring and documenting direct co-investments from limited partners in individual platform companies.
- Private equity portfolio companies in subsequent add-on acquisitions and in other corporate matters including restructuring and reorganizations, management equity arrangements, credit agreement compliance, employment compensation matters and corporate governance.
- Management teams in equity reinvestments, employment and incentive arrangements in connection with private equity transactions, including going private transactions and fund to fund sales.
- Stakeholders, including lenders and noteholders, in reorganization and bankruptcy transactions in connection with debt to equity exchanges.
- Hedge funds in their formation of joint ventures and in their acquisition and financing of pools of loan obligations and other financial assets.
- Public companies in the acquisition of private equity owned businesses and in the disposition of divisions to private equity sponsored buyers.
- Family owned and other privately held companies in connection with division sales and dispositions of their entire businesses.
- Buyers and sellers in evaluating and obtaining representation and warranty insurance in connection with merger and acquisition transactions.
Ms. Cooper is a regular presenter at continuing legal education programs, speaking on various topics such as the “Anatomy of a Purchase Agreement;” “Representation and Warranty Insurance in M&A Transactions;” “Hot Topics in Private Equity;” “Key Issues in Equity Documents in Private Equity Transactions;” and “Co-Investments.” In October 2014, she served as a guest lecturer at the University of Michigan Law School, presenting to students on the “Anatomy of a Leveraged Buyout.”
Ms. Cooper is a member of the firm’s Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women. She is also active in Sidley’s corporate partnership with Geral Delgado Kanoon Magnet Elementary School, a neighborhood school in the Pilsen community on Chicago’s west side.
Ms. Cooper provides corporate advice to clients of the pro bono organization, Lawyers for the Creative Arts and has presented “Choosing a Business Entity” at the Chicago City Treasurer’s Small Business Expo.
- Speaker, “Assessing Risk in M&A Transactions” at the Association for Corporate Growth monthly roundtable discussion (Chicago, 2015).