- Obtained a significant victory in a challenge to a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) order adverse to Sidley client BP Energy Company, which receives pipeline and terminal services as an import customer of the Cove Point LNG facility under a contract with the facility’s owner, Dominion Cove Point LNG, LP. On July 15, 2016, in BP Energy Co. v. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission et al., the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit remanded the FERC’s ruling that Dominion Cove Point did not unduly discriminate against BP by offering more favorable terms to another customer of Dominion’s LNG facility, holding that the ruling was invalid because the FERC failed to adequately explain its interpretation of the relevant statutory language and failed to investigate whether BP and the other customer were factually similarly situated.
- Black River Asset Management, an affiliate of Cargill, in connection with the formation of multiple funds, including Black River Capital Partners Fund (LNG), a US$500 million (target) private equity fund focused on the natural gas infrastructure sector, including the production, transportation or storage of LNG.
- Duke Energy in connection with disputes under LNG sales and purchase agreements with Citrus Energy.
- Duke Energy in its long-term LNG sale and purchase agreements and transport agreements with Algerian NOC Sonatrach, including complex LNG swaps with third parties.
- Highstar Capital in its formation with WesPac Energy LLC of WesPac Midstream LLC, a joint venture company focused on developing energy infrastructure projects throughout North America with a primary focus on LNG infrastructure and logistics projects, including liquefaction plants, storage, marine terminals and fueling hubs throughout North America.
*Includes transactions completed by lawyers prior to joining Sidley.