TANYA LANDON has over 17 years of experience in international dispute resolution and focuses her practice on international commercial and investment treaty arbitration, state-to-state disputes and complex cross-border litigation.
She acts as counsel and arbitrator in a wide range of disputes before the major arbitral institutions, involving: investment law; general contract law; shareholder and joint venture agreements; construction contracts; international sales contracts and supply agreements; and license and distribution agreements.
Tanya has been recognized by Who’s Who Future Leaders – Arbitration since 2017, and Who’s Who National Leaders – Switzerland Arbitration since 2019. Clients state that she comes highly recommended for her outstanding work in the field and is praised by peers as “an excellent cross-examiner” (Who’s Who Future Leaders, 2020). She won “Best in Commercial Arbitration” at the Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018.
A Fellow with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Tanya is regularly asked to speak on topics of international arbitration and teaches a legal writing seminar at the prestigious MIDS LL.M. program in Geneva. She is fluent in English and French.
Significant recent engagements include:
- Presiding arbitrator in an ad hoc international commercial arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules with seat in Geneva in a dispute relating to the application of a guarantee in a Share Purchase Agreement under French law.
- Representing a claimant in a Baltic state in a high-value dispute against a former business partner under a partnership agreement.
- Acting for global sports and entertainment broadcaster, beIN Corporation, in an investment arbitration claiming more than US$1 billion against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for unlawfully forcing the Qatar-headquartered broadcaster out of the local market and supporting a notorious broadcast pirate known as beoutQ, including the coordination of a multi-faceted international strategy involving legal proceedings in numerous fora and government advocacy in the U.S. and EU.
- Successfully representing one of the world’s largest energy companies in obtaining and securing payment of a €625 million award in an ICC arbitration in Geneva with claims and counterclaims related to the cancellation of a nuclear power plant project. For this victory, Sidley received the 2017 American Lawyer Global Award for “Global Dispute of the Year: Commercial Arbitration (Europe).”
- Representing a Brazilian medical device manufacturer in an ICDR arbitration against a U.S. distributor relating to a licensing dispute under U.S. law, and in a related US trade secrets litigation.
- Representing an aluminium company in complex and high-value arbitrations filed in Zurich and Stockholm under the Swiss and SCC Rules against an important State-owned entity in Central Asia in cases involving complex issues of Swiss, English, BVI and Russian law.
- Representing a U.S. life sciences company in an ICC arbitration with seat in London concerning a License and Distribution Agreement with respect to cardiovascular diagnostic testing under U.S. law.
- Representing a Middle Eastern distributor in an ICC arbitration in Geneva against a multinational beverage manufacturer for claims related to the termination of a long-term distribution agreement.