Dodd-Frank Reform Act
Our lawyers have been actively involved in advising clients on all titles of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act). We provide strategic and regulatory advice relating to its provisions, including the Volcker Rule, standard and tailored resolution plan requirements, orderly liquidation authority, enhanced supervision of the U.S. operations of foreign banking organizations, swap dealer registration issues, living wills, the Durbin Amendment, CFPB regulation, supervision of nonbanks and financial market utilities. We have also counseled clients on the enhanced capital, leverage and liquidity requirements that may be applied to large “systemically important” financial institutions. We have also advised clients on the likely interaction between the Dodd-Frank Act and the new Basel III regulatory regime, as well as comparisons with the EU Capital Requirements Directive.
- Advised the hedge fund operations of two major bank holding companies on potential restructuring options in light of the Volcker Rule.
- Advised a major insurance company of the impact of the Volcker Rule on the company’s investment activities.
- Advised a major European financial institution on orderly liquidation authority under U.S. and EC rules.
- Advised a major Asian financial institution on the overall impact of the Dodd-Frank Act on its U.S. operations.
- Advised a hedge fund that owns a bank on the implications of the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Advised a national broker-dealer on living will issues associated with complicated interaction of insolvency and receivership regimes with products that involve multiple regulated entities.
- Advised a national clearing organization on the impact on its operations resulting from orderly liquidation authority and regulation as a designated financial market utility.
- Advised Asian and European financial institutions on global Dodd-Frank compliance programs.
- Advised a major European financial institution on the similarities and differences between the securitization risk retention rules under Dodd-Frank and the EU Capital Requirements Directive.
- Advised a number of international banks on the development of standard and tailored resolution plans.
- Advised Asian banks on the development of funding programs, including commercial paper programs and medium-term note programs, in response to Dodd-Frank liquidity requirements.