JOEL FEINBERG is a co-leader of Sidley’s Banking and Financial Services practice, head of the firm’s Financial Institutions group in Washington, D.C., and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Joel advises operating companies and investors in the financial services and fintech space in regulatory counseling, public policy, licensing, M&A and transactional matters. Joel represents banks and their holding companies, investment funds, payment networks, platform companies, money transmitters, prepaid program managers, payment processors, e-commerce firms and others in the fintech space. Joel works extensively on payments-related matters, including as relates to blockchain/crypto, funds transmission products, mobile payment products and debit and prepaid products. In the counseling aspect of Joel’s practice, he works closely with clients on their most important compliance issues, including in the areas of anti-money laundering and economic sanctions.
Joel is ranked Band 1 in the 2024 Chambers FinTech guide in the USA Legal: Payments & Lending category. The 2022 edition of Chambers FinTech praised Joel’s “expertise in addressing questions relating to the structural details of products and businesses limited by regulatory constraints…‘It is so important in this space not to understand just the laws but also the underlying business…He knows that.’” The 2023 edition of Chambers USA recognized Joel for “his high-quality regulatory practice, which sees him counseling credit card providers and other lenders on significant compliance issues such as payments law, sanctions and AML.”
- Ranked in Chambers FinTech, USA FinTech Legal: Payments & Lending (2018–2024)
- Ranked in Chambers USA, Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance), Nationwide (2021–2023)
- Recommended for financial services regulation, The Legal 500 (2016–2017)
- Named in the Banking category, Who’s Who Legal (2015)
- “Rising Star” for Financial Services Regulatory in the United States, IFLR1000 (2014–2021)
- Recipient of “ILO Client Choice Award” in the area of Banking (U.S.) (2012)