BEN MUNDEL represents clients in their most important trial and litigation matters. Law360 recognized Ben as one of five Rising Stars in his practice area. This award recognizes top legal talent under the age of 40 that practice at a level “usually seen from veteran attorneys.”
Ben has represented leading pharmaceutical, telecommunications and financial services firms at trial and arbitration. Ben excels at presenting highly technical issues and specialized scientific evidence in ways that persuade judges and juries. In addition to his trial practice, Ben has successfully argued a number of dispositive motions in federal courts, state courts and bankruptcy courts.
Ben’s recent representations include:
- Currently lead counsel for pharmaceutical company in Lanham Act, false advertising and unfair competition litigation pending in the Northern District of California.
- Member of trial team that successfully defended DIRECTV in action brought by the Federal Trade Commission seeking $4 billion in damages. The district court granted DIRECTV’s motion for judgment on partial findings after the FTC rested its case-in-chief, and the FTC thereafter dismissed the entire case with prejudice. The case was recognized as a significant victory by the Wall Street Journal, Law360, and the Daily Journal.
- Served as lead counsel for pharmaceutical company in successful motion before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
- Obtained dismissal as lead counsel for food company in a consumer class action in the District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Served as lead counsel for international life sciences company in litigation before the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. Case against clients was dismissed after successful argument.
- Secured trial victory for Bayer in action filed by the United States Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission, seeking hundreds of millions of dollars and alleging that Bayer was unlawfully marketing its dietary supplement, Phillips’ Colon Health. After a two-week trial, the Court denied the government’s motion in its entirety.
- Member of trial team representing leading telecommunications company in false and deceptive advertising case brought by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Member of trial team for Big Four accounting firm in three-week administrative trial brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement.
- Defended an individual client in a civil RICO and antitrust matter. Successfully obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Member of arbitration team representing a plaintiff in a construction dispute. Arbitration resulted in monetary judgment in favor of our client.
- Defended global nutrition company in the enforcement action brought by the Federal Trade Commission.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of New York
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2012 (magna cum laude)
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2009 (magna cum laude)
- University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School, B.S., 2009 (magna cum laude)
- Debra A. Livingston, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit (2013 - 2014)