ELI NELSON, a member of Sidley’s eDiscovery and Data Analytics group, is an experienced litigator and data scientist who focuses his practice on legal risk mitigation for complex data and electronic discovery (a/k/a “eDiscovery” or “e-discovery”). He helps clients and colleagues decode their complex information ecosystems to conduct efficient, reliable, and cost-effective analysis for litigation, regulatory enforcement, and M&A matters. With a deep understanding of the relationship between legal risk and data, Eli advises on a wide array of issues, including corporate mergers and divestitures, antitrust, regulatory compliance, products liability, and government enforcement investigations.
For over a decade, Eli has worked with clients and industry thought leaders to meet the challenges of exponential data growth through thoughtful application of advanced technologies and data mining techniques. He is conversant with enterprise data architecture and routinely bridges the gap between technical, business, and legal stakeholders. To efficiently advise on matters involving large volumes of data, his advice is often supported by statistical sampling, structured and unstructured data analytics, and machine learning approaches.
Prior to joining Sidley, Eli established the Disputes, Claims & Investigations Analytics practice at a consulting firm. In this role, he expanded the use of data analytics across existing practices and conducted complex data analyses in support of investigations and litigation as both a consulting and testifying expert. Eli has also practiced at large law firms in Washington, D.C. and New Orleans.
Eli’s representative work includes:
- Advising Fortune 500 companies about data separation practices for business line sales and divestitures
- Leading analyses of enterprise systems and structured data, including expert selection and supervision, for complex litigation and government investigations in a healthcare matter
- Automating quality control processes to support electronic discovery and privilege logging efforts for Hart-Scott-Rodino second requests
- Advising on best practice use of advanced analytics practices, including Technology Assisted Review (TAR) and data sampling strategies
- Advising on defensible legal risk reduction strategies, including data inventory sampling to support defensible deletion of legacy company data
- Negotiating and advising on ESI discovery protocols