KRISTIN TEAGER is a senior managing associate in the Banking & Financial Services group and represents a range of fintech companies, cryptocurrency businesses, payment processors, money transmitters, prepaid program managers, depository institutions and retailers in connection with the provision of innovative payments products and other financial services. Kristin’s practice includes negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements, with a focus on the provision of financial services through strategic partnerships, including private label and co-brand credit card program agreements, servicing agreements, and payment processing agreements. Kristin also advises on a range of federal and state payments and financial services regulatory issues and assists fintech organizations, banks and retailers in structuring their products to advance their business goals and meet their regulatory obligations.
Representative banking and fintech matters include:
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements for strategic relationships between fintechs, banks, retailers, and affinity brands to support the launch of innovative co-branded and private label credit card arrangements governing billions of dollars of credit card receivables.
- Assist a major U.S. fintech provider with the launch of its cryptocurrency services, including negotiating commercial agreements with its strategic partners, advising on product structure, evaluating regulatory obligations, applying for a New York Bitlicense, interfacing with state regulatory agencies, and updating its customer agreements.
- Advise cryptocurrency platform start-ups on all aspects of their services including evaluation of regulatory issues, state licensing, commercial and customer-facing agreements, disclosures, anti-money laundering procedures and other corporate policies.
- Advise one of the largest payment card processors in negotiation of agreements with other payments technology providers to offer cryptocurrency services and other innovative fintech products to their depository institution clients.
- Advise payment processors, payment facilitators, marketplace platform providers and their investors on federal and state licensing and other regulatory obligations associated with their roles in payment transactions. This includes providing guidance on structuring relationships to avoid licensing concerns and lessen regulatory burdens.
- Assist investors and acquirers in their diligence of money services businesses, and obtain regulatory approvals for the acquisition of state-licensed money services businesses on a nation-wide basis.
SERVICES AND INDUSTRIES
- Banking and Financial Services
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Business Transactions Involving Financial Institutions
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Electronic and Mobile Commerce
- Financial Information and Privacy Law
- Financial Institutions Counseling
- Financial Services Legislation
- Global Financial Services
- International Financial Institutions in the U.S.
- Retail Financial Services
Admissions & Certifications
- District of Columbia
- New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2015 (summa cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, B.A., 2011 (summa cum laude)