We have participated in numerous mergers and acquisitions of depository institutions, money transmitters, mortgage banking and other finance companies, and trust companies, investment advisers and other money managers. We assist clients in the purchase and sale of all types of financial assets, including mortgages, automobile loans, student loans and credit card accounts receivables, and mortgage servicing rights, as well as technology transfers. Clients rely on our broad base of experience to help them structure and negotiate strategic alliances and outsourcing arrangements, including agent bank arrangements, and the entire panoply of operational agreements necessary to support critical functions and key business initiatives, such data processing, cash management and product brokerage or distribution agreements.
We have advised U.S. and non-U.S. banking organizations in connection with potential joint ventures with, and non-control investments in, companies engaged in banking and non-banking activities, as well as structuring investments by non-banking entities in banking organizations. With the growing importance of financial technology for the future of the financial industry, we have represented both investors and targets in numerous “fintech” investments. We have also assisted in restructuring bank debt and streamlining bank operations.
Our transactional practice also spans national borders. Through our European and Asian offices, we are able to support transactions involving the other countries in which we have offices, and we routinely work with local counsel in additional jurisdictions in order to facilitate multinational transactions.
- Represented a leading on-line and mobile payments company in a series of U.S. domestic and cross-border acquisitions, including by obtaining required regulatory approvals on a multijurisdictional basis.
- Represented several banks in connection with strategic investments in fintech companies.
- Represented a major foreign bank in several bank acquisitions, including an FDIC-assisted transaction.
- Represented banks and major retailers in the purchase and sale of billions of dollars of credit card portfolios and negotiation of strategic alliance agreements to have a third-party bank issue credit cards to retail customers.
- Represented a major internet company in the acquisition of a mobile payments company with operations across the globe.
- Represented a private equity group in the acquisition of a mortgage servicing business.
- Represented a U.S. non-bank financial services company in the acquisition of a global payments business.
- Represented a major U.S. bank holding company in the acquisition of a student loan business.
- Provided regulatory advice to a worldwide payment services client in the acquisition of the global business payment division of a London-based currency trader.
- Represented a money center bank in the sale of its agent bank credit card business to three different purchasers.