Our capital markets team includes more than 290 lawyers around the globe located in key international financial and industry centers including New York, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, San Francisco, Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Singapore, Shanghai and Sydney. We represent issuers, underwriters and other financial intermediaries in structuring and executing securities transactions and disclosure matters in all of the world’s major financial markets. Our lawyers are qualified to practice law in the United States, England and Wales, Hong Kong and Japan, and regularly work on matters involving the securities regulators and the securities exchanges in those markets.
Sidley has a leading global Capital Markets practice with deep and broad experience across the capital structure.
Sidley consistently ranks among the top U.S. and global capital markets firms both by deal value and by number of offerings, with strong showings as both issuer and underwriter counsel in major security type categories, including overall debt and equity, straight debt, asset-backed securities, investment grade corporate debt, high yield debt, IPOs and follow-on stock offerings.
Recent accomplishments of our award winning practice include:
- According to Thomson Reuters, for the three year period ending December 31, 2018, Sidley ranked as:
- #2 Issuer’s Counsel for U.S. capital markets offerings (equity, equity-related and debt), having worked on 372 offerings raising over US$169 billion in total deal value;
- #3 Underwriters’ Counsel for U.S. capital markets offerings (equity, equity-related and debt), having worked on 673 offerings raising over US$508 billion in total deal value.
- Thomson Reuters Global Capital Markets Review
- #1 Underwriters’ and #3 Issuer’s Counsel in U.S. Debt, Equity and Equity-Related 2018
- #1 Underwriters’ and #2 Issuer’s Counsel in U.S. Straight Debt 2018
- #1 Underwriters’ Counsel in Australia International Bonds 2014 – 2018
- Debtwire Asia Pacific (ex Japan) HY Bonds Legal Advisors’ League Table Report
- #1 Issuer’s Counsel for APAC (ex-Japan) USD High Yield Bonds 2018
- #1 Issuer’s Counsel for APAC (ex-Japan) Corporate USD High Yield Bonds 2018
- #1 Issuer’s Counsel for China USD High Yield Bonds 2018
- #1 Issuer’s Counsel for China Corporate USD High Yield Bonds 2018
- First-tier national rankings in Securities/Capital Markets Law from 2010 – 2019, Best Lawyers/Best Law Firms
- Athene Holding IPO named 2016 Equity Deal of the Year, Americas, IFLR
We are widely recognized for our extensive knowledge and experience in the capital markets space, including our work on a wide variety of complex and innovative financial instruments and structures and our experience across a broad range of industries, both domestically and internationally. Our capital markets lawyers structure and execute U.S. and international securities offerings that range from conventional to cutting-edge, resulting in our leading U.S. and international rankings. Our capital markets practice includes:
- investment grade debt offerings
- high yield debt offerings
- secured debt offerings
- IPOs, add-on equity offerings and equity offerings by selling stockholders
- spin-offs and privatizations
- exchangeable securities offerings
- offerings of preferred stock, regulatory capital securities and other hybrid capital instruments
- offerings of structured notes, including equity, commodity and currency-linked, indexed and other derivative products
- medium-term note, commercial paper, extendible note, at-the-market common stock and other funding programs
- debt offerings by sovereign entities
- asset securitization and equipment trust offerings
Our clients include large and small companies and financial institutions operating in more than 100 business categories located throughout the U.S. and the world, as well as a number of governments and government-related entities. We advise more than 100 public companies on securities transactions and ongoing reporting and disclosure matters. We also represent virtually all of the world’s major investment banking firms, many regional investment banking firms and other financial intermediaries in connection with securities transactions. We serve as issuer's counsel for over 230 companies and as designated underwriters’ counsel on securities transactions by more than 190 companies.