ASI KIRMAYER practices in all areas of corporate law with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and joint ventures.
He has represented large multinational corporations, private equity funds, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds and other asset managers in domestic and international purchases and sales of both public and private companies. Asi has guided clients through leveraged buyouts, stock acquisitions, asset purchases and joint ventures. His experience includes acquisitions and divestitures both in unregulated industries such as technology, auto parts manufacturing and consulting, and highly regulated industries such as financial services (including banks, broker-dealers, insurance companies and financial advisors), electricity transmission, downstream and mid-stream oil and gas, and professional services firms.
A significant portion of Asi’s practice involves minority investments, both by financial and strategic investors. He has developed deep experience counseling clients through the unique issues arising in this area, including governance, determinations of “control” under applicable laws, and various exit considerations specific to minority investors. In addition, Asi has extensive experience with acquisitions and investments by foreign entities that are notified to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and the various transaction implications such notifications entail.
He prides himself in providing not simply technically sound legal advice, but practical advice that adds commercial value to his clients. Asi works hand-in-hand with his clients who often consider him an integral part of their team because of his deep understanding of their business goals and approach to M&A.
Asi’s recent representations include:
- GIC in connection with a US$1.0 billion investment in Convex Group Limited led by GIC and Onex Partners (2020)
- GIC in the acquisition by affiliates of Blackstone Infrastructure Partners, Enagas, GIC, NPS and USS, of all of the publicly held outstanding Class A Shares of Tallgrass Energy LP (2019)
- GIC Pte Ltd., in connection with its acquisition, together with Brookfield Infrastructure, of Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) (2019)
- GIC Pte. Ltd., in connection with its investment, alongside Blackstone Infrastructure Partners, in a $3.3 billion acquisition of interests in Tallgrass Energy (2019)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with its investment in Ascensus, LLC (2019)
- Redwood Trust, Inc. in connection with its agreement to acquire a 20% minority interest in 5 Arches, LLC (2018)
- Shutterstock, Inc. in connection with its sale of WebDAM to Bynder (2018)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with its $500 million acquisition of mandatorily convertible preferred equity of FirstEnergy Corp. (2018)
- West Face Capital in connection with the sale of Centaur Holdings, LLC to Caesars Entertainment Corporation (2017)
- GIC Pte Ltd. in connection with its joint venture with AIMCo, Howard Midstream Energy Partners, LLC and WPX Energy, Inc. to develop crude oil and natural gas gathering and processing infrastructure in the core of the Delaware Basin (2017)
- Certain funds advised by Fortress Investment Group LLC in connection with their acquisition of Colony American Finance LLC (2017)
- GIC Pte Ltd. in connection with its investment in Virtu Financial Inc. to finance the $1.4 billion acquisition by Virtu Financial of KCG Holdings, Inc. (2017)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with the $2.9 billion acquisition of Neustar, Inc. (2016)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with the acquisition of Leslie’s Pool Supplies (2017)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with the $11.3 billion acquisition of ITC Holdings Corp. (2016)
- Siris Capital Group, LLC in connection with its $1.0 billion acquisition of Premiere Global Services, Inc. (2015) and its $643 million acquisition of Xura, Inc. (2016)
- CRT Capital Group LLC in connection with the sale of certain of its credit products, credit research, special situations and emerging markets units to Cowen Group, Inc. (2016)
- Nomura Holdings, Inc. in connection with its $1.0 billion acquisition of a 41% interest in American Century Investments from Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (2015)
- A significant investor in RKI Exploration & Production, LLC in connection with the $2.75 billion acquisition by WPX Energy, Inc. (2015)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with the $752 million acquisition of iParadigms (2015)
- Wanxiang Group in connection with its $149 million acquisition of the assets of Fisker Automotive Holdings, Inc. (2015)
- GIC Pte. Ltd. in connection with the $6.9 billion acquisition of BMC Software Inc. (2013)
- Wanxiang Group in connection with its initial investment in A123 Systems and its subsequent $249 million acquisition of A123 Systems (2012)
- Avaya Inc. in connection with its $225 million acquisition of Radvision Ltd. (2012)
- Peak 6 Investments, L.P. in its acquisition of the securities clearing business of Penson Worldwide, Inc. and the formation of Apex Clearing Corporation (2012)
- A big four accounting firm in multiple acquisitions (2011–2017)
- Guggenheim Partners, LLC in its acquisition of Security Benefit Corporation (2010)
- SMART Technologies, Inc. in its initial public offering (2010)
- BNP Paribas in its acquisition of the prime brokerage business of Bank of America (2008)
- AIG Highstar in connection with its sale of a 50 percent interest in Intergen N.V. to GMR Infrastructure Limited (2008)
- NRDC Equity Partners in its acquisition of Fortunoff (2008)
- Turner Renewable Energy, LLC in its sale to First Solar, Inc. (2007)
- Broadpoint Securities Group, Inc. in its acquisition of Gleacher Partners Inc. (2007)
- Magna International, Inc. in its issuer tender offer for its Class A Subordinate Voting Shares (2007)
Asi received his LL.B. from the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto in 1998 and his B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in Computer Science from the University of Calgary in 1995.