OLIVER CURRALL advises on UK and international tax planning, with a particular focus on UK and cross-border private equity and M&A transactions, fund formation work and restructuring mandates. Oliver has advised a number of major private equity sponsors on the tax aspects of their deals, as well as on the structuring of their fund, management company and executive carry and co-invest arrangements.
Oliver is a UK Chartered Tax Adviser, as well as a lawyer, and regularly works with local experts to deliver cross-border transaction and structuring tax advice.
Recent representative matters for current clients include acting for:
- Macquarie on its joint venture with Sun Hung Kai.
- Goldman Sachs on its investment in tech platform LumApps.
- GHO Capital Partners LLP on its acquisition of Ardena.
- Independent Clinical Services Group (ICS), a portfolio company of TowerBrook Capital Partners (TCP), on the successful recapitalization and portable refinancing of its existing debt structure.
- WEX Inc., a leading financial technology service provider, in connection with its planned acquisition of EG Group Limited’s GO Fuel Card business.
- Famar on the successful restructuring, recapitalization and strengthening of its capital structure.
- Apollo Global Management, LLC on its US$2.6 billion cash acquisition of Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited.
- Certain investment funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC on the acquisition of a majority stake in Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd (pending).
- Blackbaud, Inc., the world’s largest cloud software company powering social good, on its acquisition of UK-based online fundraising services provider, JustGiving.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners on its acquisition of Schweighofer Fiber GmbH, an Austrian company that produces high-quality viscose pulp and bio energy, from family-owned Schweighofer Group.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners on its acquisition of the majority of shares in Van Dijk Educatie, the Netherlands’ largest provider of learning materials.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners and KKR Credit Advisors (US) LLC on their €250 million acquisition of a minority stake in OVH Groupe SAS, a leading provider of cloud infrastructure, telecommunications and web hosting services.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners on the Acquisition of CarTrawler.
- An affiliate of H.I.G. Capital European Partners LP on its disposal of Zmarta Group to Bauer Media Group.
- H.I.G. Europe, the European arm of global private equity firm H.I.G. Capital on the sale of the International School of Europe Group to Inspired.
- BlackRock-advised fund on its sale of Asia Square Tower 1 to Qatar Investment Authority.
- New York-based private equity firm Siris Capital Group LLC in its US$643 million acquisition of Xura, Inc., a leading provider of digital communication software solutions.
- Mid Europa Partners, the leading private equity investor in Central and South Eastern Europe, in connection with its sale of Alpha Medical, the leading provider of laboratory testing services in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, to Unilabs, an Apax Partners portfolio company. The transaction represents the largest healthcare transaction in Central Europe since 2008.
Oliver has acted for private equity sponsors in buying and selling portfolio investments across a range of jurisdictions (in the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland and Scandinavia, amongst others). He has also acted for private equity sponsors on their fund formation, fund secondary and fund restructuring transactions. Oliver is ranked in Chambers UK 2020 for Tax, where clients say “he gives clarity to complex topics and he's very strong technically.” In the 2018 edition, clients described him as “very calm, conscientious and detail-orientated,” and “able to explain topics with perfect clarity.”
Prior to joining Sidley in 2016, Oliver was a partner in the tax practice of another international law firm.
Admissions & Certifications
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- Oxford Brookes University, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2005
- University of Cambridge, B.A., 2003