ROBERT L. GOLUB is a partner in Sidley’s New York Real Estate group.
Mr. Golub’s practice is concentrated in the areas of (i) mortgage loan origination, (ii) the origination and disposition of subordinate debt (including “B Note” and preferred equity interests), (iii) workout and restructuring transactions, (iv) acquisition and disposition of real property assets, mortgage loans and loan portfolios, (v) joint venture work, (vi) commercial and retail lease transactions (representing both landlords and tenants) and (vii) sale-leaseback transactions.
Recent major engagements have included the following:
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of the business of Donlen Corporation from Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
- Representation of LifePoint Health, Inc. in its agreement with Medical Properties Trust, Inc. with respect to a pending sale-leaseback of 10 acute care hospitals in six markets for $700 million.
- Representation of a New York based opportunity fund in connection with (a) the workout and restructuring of a $1.2 billion loan to a New York developer secured by pledges of equity interests in various office and residential buildings located in Manhattan; (b) the acquisition of approximately 30 self-storage facilities located throughout the Middle Atlantic states; (c) origination of $213,000,000 mortgage loan to subsidiaries of a publicly traded REIT, which loan was secured by five Embassy Suites hotels and four Sheraton hotels; (d) the creation of joint venture arrangement relating to the acquisition of occupied condominium and cooperative housing units; and (e) the origination of numerous construction and predevelopment loans throughout the United States.
- Representation of a U.S. subsidiary of a French bank in connection with (a) the creation and disposition of junior participation interests in approximately 80 mortgage loans, and (b) the origination of a loan (approximately $50 million) secured by a pledge of a mortgage loan on an office building located in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of a U.S. subsidiary of a German bank in connection with a series of construction mortgage loans relating to the construction of a 262.2 MW wind generation facility in Klickitat County, Washington.
- Representation of a various tenants in connection with the negotiation of office leases in Manhattan.