PATRICK MELLON is a partner in the Investment Funds group in Chicago. His practice focuses on private alternative investment funds — their structuring, management and related regulatory matters. Mr. Mellon regularly advises and represents clients in the organization and operation of hedge funds, funds of funds, commodity pools and private equity-style funds. He has also counseled clients in numerous domestic and offshore fund restructurings and recapitalization situations.
Representative matters include:
- formation and private offerings of investment funds (including domestic and offshore hedge funds, private equity funds, hybrid funds and commodity pools)
- funds of funds
- managed accounts and single investor funds
- feeder fund and managed account platforms
- restructurings of existing funds, including liquidation vehicles
- secondary market transactions
- placement agent agreements and negotiation
Patrick is part of Sidley’s Investment Funds practice team that has won numerous top awards as a provider of legal services to the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News — Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.