SIMON M. SADDLETON regularly advises and represents clients in the organization and operation of hedge funds, funds of funds, commodity pools and private equity-style funds. Simon is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office and a member of Sidley’s Investment Funds group. His practice focuses on private alternative investment funds — their structuring, management and related regulatory matters.
Recent representative matters include:
- Formation and private offerings of investment funds (including domestic and offshore hedge funds, private equity funds, hybrid funds and commodity pools);
- Formation of private fund managers;
- Managed accounts and single investor funds;
- Hedge fund and futures fund platforms, funds of funds;
- Development and updating of compliance procedures for investment advisers and commodity pool operators.
The team in which Simon is a part of consistently wins top awards in the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News — Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.
During 2015, Simon served as deputy general counsel of a quantitative trading firm headquartered in Chicago with offices in New York, London and Austin, Texas. In this role, he provided advice with respect to the firm’s investment advisory business, proprietary trading and general operations.
Simon received his B.A. from Cornell University (College of Arts and Sciences) and his J.D. cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was an editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law and recipient of the Mark E. Lefever Prize for the best paper in the field of law and economics.
Admissions & Certifications
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2008 (cum laude)
- Cornell University, A.B., 2001