SIMON SADDLETON is a partner in Sidley’s Investment Funds practice and regularly advises and represents alternative asset managers in the organization and operation of hedge funds, private equity funds, hybrid funds, single investor funds, managed accounts and other alternative asset investment vehicles. Simon assists clients in the formation and operation of their businesses, including SEC and CFTC registration and ongoing compliance and related regulatory matters. Simon regularly advises clients in seed and acceleration transactions, lift outs, manager acquisitions, GP stakes arrangements and similar sales, purchases and reorganizations of alternative asset managers. Simon also maintains a significant investor-side practice and regularly represents institutional investors, pension plans, family offices and other asset allocators.
Recent representative matters include:
- Represented a large corporate pension in the reorganization of its alternative investments portfolio.
- Represented Navigator Global Investments in connection with its purchase of an equity stake in Marble Capital L.P.
- Launched a large internal multi-manager long/short equity fund, including the negotiation of a significant seed investment by a large institutional investor.
- Advised a proprietary investment firm in a joint venture with an ESG-focused private equity firm.
- Ongoing negotiations of multiple seed investments in start-up managers on behalf of a seed investment fund.
- Ongoing representation of a large external multi-manager platform.
- Ongoing representation of a large pension plan in connection with its existing and new private equity fund investments.
- Providing SEC and CFTC regulatory guidance to family offices.
- Providing Advisers Act advice to the unsecured creditors’ committee of a large investment adviser in Chapter 11 proceedings.
The team that Simon is a part of consistently wins top awards in the private funds industry, including:
- Law Firm of the Year in Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” (2022)
- Top Tier in Investment Funds: Hedge Funds, Chambers USA and Chambers Global (2021)
- Best Law Firm: Asset Management, Asian Investor (2020)
During 2015, Simon served as deputy general counsel of a quantitative trading firm headquartered in Chicago with offices in New York, London and Austin, Texas. In this role, he provided advice with respect to the firm’s investment advisory business, proprietary trading and general operations.
Simon received his B.A. from Cornell University (College of Arts and Sciences) and his J.D. cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was an editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law and recipient of the Mark E. Lefever Prize for the best paper in the field of law and economics.