LUISA LIZOAIN counsels public and private companies and investors on corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, co-investments, and joint ventures, with a focus on sports, entertainment, and media. Her practice includes the representation of individuals, groups, and private equity firms on investments in, and acquisitions of, major professional sports teams and expansion teams. She also represents professional sports teams in connection with day-to-day operations, equity financings, sponsorship deals, licensing deals, stadium deals, and other commercial matters.
- A diverse group led by Laura Ricketts and other prominent Chicago women business and civic leaders in its acquisition of the Chicago Red Stars NWSL franchise, valued at US$60 million.
- Multiple investors, including Mitch Rales and Magic Johnson, in the Josh Harris-led consortium that has entered into a definitive purchase and sale agreement to acquire the Washington Commanders of the NFL from the Snyder family. The US$6.05 billion purchase price is the highest price ever paid for a professional sports franchise.
- Eldridge Industries, in its acquisition alongside Dick Clark Productions, of all the Golden Globes’ assets, rights, and properties from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
- Monarch Collective, a new US$100 million investment fund focused exclusively on women’s professional sports that will make investments in women’s sports teams, leagues, and related revenue streams, such as licensing and media
- Jeff Skoll in connection with his minority investment in Monumental Sports & Entertainment, which owns and operates the Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals, and Washington Mystics.
- Private equity firm Arctos Sports Partners in minority investments in the National Hockey League (NHL) and National Basketball Association (NBA) franchises
- Todd Boehly, Co-Founder, Chairman and CEO of Eldridge Industries, LLC, in his acquisition of a minority interest in the Los Angeles Lakers NBA franchise
- Angel City FC and its ownership group, including in (i) securing the expansion rights to launch the National Women's Soccer League's (NWSL) 11th team in Los Angeles in 2022, (ii) equity financing matters, (iii) various sponsorship deals, including its sponsorship deals with Sprouts, Crypto.com, Cedars-Sinai, Curateur, Heineken, Jane Walker, and Therabody and (iv) day-to-day operations
- Kansas City Current and its ownership group led by wife and husband team Angie and Chris Long, including securing the right to bring the 12th NWSL team to Kansas City and various commercial matters
- Live Nation and its affiliate Insomniac in a number of strategic growth acquisitions and joint ventures
- The Friedkin Group, Inc., in its acquisition of a controlling stake in the professional Italian Serie A football club AS Roma
*Some of the above matters were handled prior to joining Sidley.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 2019 (Order of the Coif)
- Columbia University, B.A., 2014 (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)