Sidley offers clients an interdisciplinary, international group of lawyers focusing on the complex issues of privacy, data protection, information security, records retention, consumer protection, Internet law, intellectual property and cybercrimes. Our group includes regulatory compliance lawyers, litigators, financial institutions practitioners, healthcare lawyers, EU professionals, IT licensing and marketing counsel, intellectual property and white collar lawyers. Our lawyers provide strategic counseling, regulatory compliance and litigation services to clients in various industry sectors, including financial services and healthcare. We assist companies in developing and implementing global protection procedures. We have also represented companies in landmark privacy cases, including the successful representation of a defendant in the Pharmatrak privacy litigation in which the firm obtained a motion for summary judgment against a purported class action that sought damages related to “cookies” on various pharmaceutical company Web sites.
In addition to their extensive private practice experience, the group’s lawyers draw on a significant U.S. and EU regulatory background. Members of the group include a former FTC Commissioner, three former Associate Counsels to the President, a former General Counsel of the Office of Management and Budget and former senior FCC lawyers. The group’s EU-based lawyers include a former member of the European Commission’s Legal Service and a former assistant to the Chief Executive of the Financial Law Panel in London.
The group publishes many of its articles on data protection and information law topics on Sidley’s CyberLaw site at www.sidley.com/cyberlaw.
The group has experience in many areas of law, including:
- Privacy and Internet litigation under U.S. Federal and state law;
- Data Breach, Incident Response and Cybercrime Advice, including PATRIOT Act and other subpoena compliance issues, and data breach notices;
- Global Data Protection and Information Security Programs - advise on various countries’ national data protection laws, including EU, U.S. and Japan;
- International Data Transfer Solutions, including Safe Harbor, Binding Corporate Rules and “Model” Contracts;
- Workplace Privacy and Employee Monitoring;
- Outsourcing and Cross-Border Issues;
- Records Retention and Electronic Discovery;
- Cyberlaw, E-commerce and Internet issues;
- Unfair Competition, Consumer Protection, Marketing and Advertising, including Do-not-call, Do-not-fax, CAN SPAM and data mining issues;
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Financial Privacy compliance and counseling;
- HIPAA and Healthcare Privacy compliance and counseling;
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation and Counseling, including Internet brand protection issues such as cybersquatting disputes, counterfeiting and other online infringement and database issues; and
- Web site Policies and Domain Name Protection.