TAI-HENG CHENG is global co-head of the international arbitration practice at Sidley. He is a preeminent arbitration practitioner whom clients across industries turn to for sound strategic advice in managing risk, and successfully addressing and solving a myriad of complex business issues. He has earned a reputation for being a stellar advocate, having won 9-figure awards for clients both in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations, and successfully carried out worldwide enforcement campaigns to collect judgements and awards.
With 20 years of experience, he is also a trusted advisor to companies and boards. He uses the full range of legal tools to create leverage in disputes, investigations and government enforcement matters. His clients span many industries including, energy and infrastructure, pharmaceuticals, real estate, manufacturing and financial services.
While he is resident in the New York office, he spends substantial time in Europe, Asia and Latin America representing clients. Tai collaborates closely with other lawyers in the global arbitration practice and leverages the full Sidley platform to provide value-added service for clients.
Tai has extensive experience serving as tribunal chair or co-arbitrator in more than a dozen arbitrations before major international arbitral institutions across multiple continents, and is a member of the arbitration panels of arbitration institutions in North America, Europe and Asia.
Tai is ranked as one of the top 10 arbitration practitioners in North and South America under 45 by Who’s Who Legal and as a Band 1 international arbitrator by Chambers USA. He has also been recognized in Chambers Global for international arbitration, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration, Benchmark Litigation’s Rising Stars and Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List. Industry organizations and tribunals report that Tai:
- “is an elegant practitioner who knows all there is to know about arbitration,” as well as “a very persistent advocate on behalf of his client” and a “fair and meticulous arbitrator” (Chambers USA 2019);
- “excels in the commercial and investment arbitration spheres due to his strong advocacy skills, understanding of economic issues and astute case strategies” (Who’s Who Legal); and
- delivered at a hearing “a remarkably eloquent and intelligent address with which the arbitrators of course full-heartedly agree in all respects” (Stockholm Chamber of Commerce arbitration award).
Awards rendered by Tai have been confirmed by U.S. District and Appeals courts as well as non-U.S. courts.
Tai is vice president of the American Society of International Law, and an elected fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, the American Law Institute and the Foreign Policy Association. He is a trustee of the Frick Collection, and serves on the boards of several other civic organizations.
Prior to joining Sidley, Tai was the chair of the New York international arbitration practice in another global law firm. He was also a tenured professor of international law in the United States. He has a J.S.D. and LL.M. degree from Yale Law School and first class honors in law from Oxford University.
Tai is bilingual in English and Mandarin.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, S.D. of New York
- New York
- Yale Law School, J.S.D., 2004
- Yale Law School, LL.M., 2000
- Oxford University, B.A., 1999