BENSON COHEN primarily represents investment advisers, broker-dealers and banks in connection with corporate, securities, M&A and regulatory matters. He serves on the firm’s COVID-19 Task Force, focusing on impacts of the pandemic on investment advisers.
Representative matters include:
- Formation and offerings of privately placed hedge funds, hybrid credit funds and fund of funds (both U.S. and non-U.S.)
- Establishment of hedge fund and private equity fund “feeder” and managed account platform
- Sales of advisory businesses (both buy-side and sell-side), including sales of minority interests, revenue share arrangements, “seeding” arrangements and sales of assets and reorganizations
- Structuring of joint venture arrangements for launch of new investment products, including equity financing for the launch of new CLOs, hybrid investment fund and hedge funds
Benson has deep experience counseling asset management clients on the myriad regulatory structures applicable to their business, including the U.S. securities laws, ERISA, tax, FINRA, CFTC and NFA rules and regulations and the U.S. Bank Holding Company Act (including the Volcker Rule). Benson is well-versed in rules and regulations that affect institutional asset managers, start-up managers and participants in complex joint ventures. Clients laud Benson’s ability to efficiently and effectively deliver legal services and manage teams. Clients cited his combination of comprehensive legal knowledge, attention to detail, clear communication style, responsiveness and a practical commercial perspective.
Benson is part of Sidley’s Investment Funds practice team that has won numerous top awards as a provider of legal services to the private funds industry: two-time winner of Chambers and Partners’ “Investment Funds Team of the Year for the U.S.”; Institutional Investor’s Alpha magazine’s 2014 Alpha Awards top “onshore” (U.S.) law firm serving the hedge fund industry; four-time recipient of first-tier national rankings in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, and Derivatives and Futures Law; and ranked in the top band for Hedge Funds by Chambers USA every year since 2008.
Benson has been recommended in Investment Fund Formation and Alternative/Hedge Funds in The Legal 500 US (2014–2017).
Benson works with public companies to maintain the confidentiality of information filed with the SEC.
Admissions & Certifications
- New York
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 2004 (Founding Editor, Berkeley Business Law Journal)
- Emory University, B.A., M.A., 2000 (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)