PETER EDGERTON is a tax partner in Sidley’s Chicago office. He focuses on advising a variety of businesses including insurance companies, private equity firms and others on federal and state tax issues in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions. Peter also represents insurance companies and investment banks in connection with the structuring of life insurance reserve funding transactions, including funded and unfunded XXX and AXXX securitizations.
Examples of Peter’s recent experience include representation of:
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.6 billion acquisition of publicly traded Aspen Insurance Holdings.
- Apollo Global Management and Athene Holding in the acquisition of Voya Insurance and Annuity Company for approximately $500 million, and Athene’s agreement to reinsure $19 billion of Voya Financial’s fixed and fixed indexed annuity liabilities.
- The Hartford in the sale of its life insurance and annuity businesses for $2.05 billion to an investor group that included Global Atlantic, Cornell Capital, TRB Advisors, Pine Brook and J. Safra Group.
- RoundTable Healthcare Partners and their portfolio companies in the acquisition of Beaver-Visitec International, Tidi Products and other companies, and the sale of Beaver-Visitec International to TPG Capital, as well as other divestitures.
- Walgreen Co. in its acquisition of USA Drug for $438 million, publicly traded Drugstore.com for $409 million and the sale of its pharmacy benefits management business for $525 million.
- Athene Holding in connection with the acquisition of Aviva USA from Aviva plc, and the sale of Aviva USA’s life business to Global Atlantic.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a law clerk to Judge Pamela Ann Rymer of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Peter graduated from the University of Chicago Law School with honors, and served as Articles Editor of The University of Chicago Law Review. In 2007, he was a recipient of the Chicago Bar Association Federal Taxation Committee’s Outstanding Tax Student Award.