PETER EDGERTON is a tax partner in Sidley’s Chicago office. He focuses on advising a variety of businesses including insurance companies, private equity firms and others on federal and state tax issues in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions. Peter also represents insurance companies and investment banks in connection with the structuring of life insurance reserve funding transactions, including funded and unfunded XXX and AXXX securitizations.
Examples of Peter’s recent experience include representation of:
- Representing American National Insurance in its $5.1 billion acquisition by Brookfield Asset Management Reinsurance Partners (pending).
- An investor consortium led by Cornell Capital LLC, Atlas Merchant Capital LLC, TRB Advisors LP, Global Atlantic Financial Group, Pine Brook, J. Safra Group, and The Hartford in the sale of Talcott Resolution to Sixth Street (pending).
- Kemper Corporation in its $370 million acquisition of American Access (pending).
- Venerable in its acquisition of Corporate Solutions Life Re from Equitable Holdings, and the reinsurance of approximately $26 billion of reserves from Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company.
- Athene Holding in the reinsurance of a $27 billion block of annuities from Jackson National Life Insurance Company, and a $500 million indirect equity investment in Jackson.
- Cigna in the $6.3 billion sale of its group life and disability insurance business to New York Life.
- AIG in the $476 million strategic minority investment by The Carlyle Group in Fortitude Re, and Fortitude Re in its subsequent $2.2 billion sale by AIG to The Carlyle Group and T&D Holdings.
- Athene Holding in its $1.55 billion combination common share exchange with and sale of common shares to Apollo Global Management.
- GoldenTree Asset Management in the agreement by Star Insurance Holdings to acquire Syncora Guarantee for $392.5 million.
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.6 billion acquisition of publicly traded Aspen Insurance Holdings.
- Apollo Global Management and Athene Holding in the acquisition of Voya Insurance and Annuity Company for approximately $500 million, and Athene’s agreement to reinsure $19 billion of Voya Financial’s fixed and fixed indexed annuity liabilities.
- The Hartford in the sale of its life insurance and annuity businesses for $2.05 billion to an investor group that included Global Atlantic, Cornell Capital, TRB Advisors, Pine Brook and J. Safra Group.
- RoundTable Healthcare Partners and their portfolio companies in the acquisition of Beaver-Visitec International, Tidi Products and other companies, and the sale of Beaver-Visitec International to TPG Capital, as well as other divestitures.
- Walgreen Co. in its acquisition of USA Drug for $438 million, publicly traded Drugstore.com for $409 million and the sale of its pharmacy benefits management business for $525 million.
- Athene Holding in connection with the acquisition of Aviva USA from Aviva plc, and the sale of Aviva USA’s life business to Global Atlantic.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a law clerk to Judge Pamela Ann Rymer of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Peter graduated from the University of Chicago Law School with honors, and served as Articles Editor of The University of Chicago Law Review. In 2007, he was a recipient of the Chicago Bar Association Federal Taxation Committee’s Outstanding Tax Student Award.