MARK KNIGHT co-heads Sidley’s Restructuring group in London. He is a seasoned restructuring lawyer with deep experience in multi-jurisdictional workouts and restructurings, and has successfully led many complex restructurings, acting for both creditors and debtors.
Mark works closely with private equity houses, hedge funds, and other investors in relation to the acquisition and reorganization of stressed and distressed businesses. His practice is focused on all stages of the restructuring life cycle, including investment structuring, contingency planning and strategy, negotiations, implementation, post-restructuring, optimization of existing investments, and exit.
Mark has received acknowledgment from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Chambers UK 2024 – Ranked for Restructuring/Insolvency, where sources note “He has been outstanding. He really takes ownership of the whole job and becomes the point man very quickly.”
- Chambers UK 2023 – Ranked for Restructuring/Insolvency, where sources say “Mark is a highly commercial-and client-focused lawyer.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2024 – Ranked as a “Leading Individual” for Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency. Sources say, “Mark’s ability to see the big picture, apply a strong commercial mindset and back it up with deep legal skills and hard work means premium results are achieved and the journey to them is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2023 - Ranked “Next Generation Partner” for Corporate Restructuring/Insolvency.
- Chambers UK 2022 – Ranked for Restructuring/Insolvency, where clients say “he comes up with creative and highly tailored solutions” and “he's a very good communicator.”
- Private Equity News 2018 - Named one of the top 25 “Rising Stars of Private Equity.”
The London Restructuring practice, which Mark co-heads, won the “Restructuring Team of the Year” awards at the Legal Business Awards 2023. The team also won the highly prestigious “Innovation in rescue, restructuring and recovery (Law firm)” category at the 2021 FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Europe 2021.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark served as general counsel and partner of Pillarstone, a KKR turnaround platform which partners with European banks to manage their exposure to NPLs and non-core assets. Before joining Pillarstone, Mark was a partner in the restructuring practice of another international law firm in London.