MARTIN MEMBERY is co-leader of the firm’s global Insurance practice. For over 30 years his practice has exclusively focused on the insurance sector, with a particular emphasis on complex insurance/reinsurance projects, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, distribution arrangements, regulatory matters and structuring insurance/reinsurance policies, including the transfer of longevity risk.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Westfield in its acquisition of the Lloyd’s operations of Argo Group, including Argo’s Lloyd’s managing agency and Argo’s members supporting Syndicate 1200.
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm, in its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson for US$3.25 billion.
- Munich Re in connection with a reinsurance swap transaction with NN Life of the Netherlands, providing longevity protection in respect of €3.8 billion of pension liabilities referable to over 43,000 pensioners and dependents.
- GIC in connection with a US$1 billion investment in Convex Group, led by GIC and Onex Partners.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company on its acquisition of a shareholding in Rothesay Life.
- Munich Re on a reinsurance swap transaction with the Willis Pension Scheme, providing longevity protection in respect of approximately £1 billion of pension liabilities.
Martin has, for many years, been recognized in Chambers UK as a leading individual in Insurance: Non-contentious and in The Legal 500 UK “Hall of Fame” for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory and Insurance: Insolvency and Restructuring. Most recently, Martin has been ranked in Chambers UK 2023, with clients commenting “he has highly relevant experience and commercial awareness.” In previous editions, sources say “he understands the market and has cross-jurisdictional experience that gives weight to his advice” (2022), he is also described as having “a pragmatic approach and a good track record of delivering deals on time” (2021) and is described as “just fabulous - he has the knowledge, he has excellent negotiating skills and he is really good at giving practical advice” (2019). Editions of Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK respectively commented that he is “wonderfully commercially aware;” “especially effective in identifying clients’ needs and helping them to achieve their goals” and praise his “really strong, substantial knowledge, lots of experience and proactive advice” (Chambers UK 2018) and have stated that “Martin Membery is one of the finest insurance and regulatory lawyers... and amazingly tuned in to what clients want” (The Legal 500 UK 2011). Martin has also been listed in Best Lawyers 2022 for Insurance Law.
Martin is a regular contributor to the insurance press and a frequent speaker at industry events and conferences.