MARTIN MEMBERY is co-leader of the firm’s global Insurance practice area team and leads the London Insurance and Financial Services group. For over 25 years his practice has exclusively focused on the insurance sector, with a particular emphasis on complex insurance/reinsurance projects, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, distribution arrangements, regulatory matters and structuring insurance/reinsurance policies, including the transfer of longevity risk.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. on its $3.57 billion acquisition of Willis Towers Watson Assets.
- GIC in connection with a US$1 billion investment in Convex Group, led by GIC and Onex Partners.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company on its acquisition of a shareholding in Rothesay Life.
- Munich Re on a reinsurance swap transaction with the Willis Pension Scheme, providing longevity protection in respect of approximately £1 billion of pension liabilities.
- Munich Re in connection with a reinsurance swap transaction with NN Life of the Netherlands, providing longevity protection in respect of €3.8 billion of pension liabilities referable to over 43,000 pensioners and dependents.
Martin has, for many years, been recognized in Chambers as a leading individual in Insurance: Non-contentious and by The Legal 500 as a leading individual in its rankings for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory and Insurance: Insolvency and Restructuring. Editions of The Legal 500 and Chambers respectively comment that “Martin Membery is one of the finest insurance and regulatory lawyers... and amazingly tuned in to what clients want” (The Legal 500 UK 2011); “wonderfully commercially aware;” “especially effective in identifying clients’ needs and helping them to achieve their goals” and praise his “really strong, substantial knowledge, lots of experience and proactive advice” (Chambers UK 2018). In Chambers UK 2019, Martin is described as “just fabulous - he has the knowledge, he has excellent negotiating skills and he is really good at giving practical advice.” Most recently, Martin has been ranked in Chambers UK 2021, with clients commenting “Martin has a pragmatic approach and a good track record of delivering deals on time.” Martin has also been listed in Best Lawyers 2021 for Insurance Law.
Martin is a regular contributor to the insurance press and a frequent speaker at industry events and conferences.