JONATHAN A. NUNES is a partner in the Global Finance group in Sidley’s New York office. Mr. Nunes’ practice focuses primarily on all aspects of structured finance, with particular focus on the representation of various issuers, sponsors, underwriters, originators, special servicers, investors and loan sellers in a wide range of commercial real estate capital markets transactions including public and private commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), commercial mezzanine loan securitizations, re-REMICS, CRE CLOs, A/B and pari passu mortgage loan structures and mezzanine loans. Mr. Nunes has particular expertise with respect to securities law compliance and related aspects of securitization transactions, including Securities Offering Reform, Regulation AB, Regulation AB II and the U.S. credit risk retention rules. Mr. Nunes also represents issuers and underwriters in connection with whole business securitizations of esoteric asset portfolios, including rental car fleet portfolios, aircraft portfolios, and wireless communication lease and tower portfolios. In addition, Mr. Nunes has extensive experience in the commercial mortgage loan workout area; purchases and sales of whole loan portfolios; various bankruptcy and insolvency matters involving real estate and CMBS in particular.
Mr. Nunes is recommended in Structured Finance and Real Estate in The Legal 500 US 2013-2016 and was recognized in the 2014 and 2015 editions of IFLR1000 as a “Rising Star” for Banking in the United States.
Mr. Nunes’ representative matters include representing:
- Issuers, underwriters, loan sellers and B-piece investors in CMBS transactions over the past 15 years, including various conduit programs.
- Issuers and underwriters in single asset/single borrower CMBS transactions.
- Special servicers, lenders and investors in workouts of securitized commercial mortgage and mezzanine loans.
- B-piece investors in connection with purchase of CMBS third-party purchaser risk retention positions pursuant to the U.S. credit risk retention rules.
- Underwriters and issuers in connection with CRE CLO offerings.
- Financial advisors, first mortgage lenders, B-note holders, participants and mezzanine lenders in analyzing capital structures in the CMBS context.
- Lenders and borrowers on commercial mortgage loan and commercial mezzanine loan repurchase facilities.
- Hedge funds and investment advisors in connection with purchases and sales of performing and non-performing whole mortgage loan portfolios.
- Various investment banks in connection with securities law compliance and related aspects of securitization transactions including Regulation AB, Regulation AB II, Dodd-Frank (and related U.S. credit risk retention rules) and the Securities Offering Reform.
Admissions & Certifications
- New York
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1998 (magna cum laude)