BRIDGET R. O’NEILL, a partner in Sidley’s Chicago office, is co-leader of the firm’s national Tax practice and heads the firm’s Tax practice in Chicago. She focuses on representing domestic and foreign investment managers of hedge funds, private equity funds and real estate investment trusts (REITs) and partnerships. Bridget regularly advises on a range of partnership, cross-border and withholding tax matters, including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and deferred compensation arrangements. Recent representations include advising on the tax aspects of:
- The initial public offering of $303.6 million and the consolidation of the partnership operations of Aviv REIT, Inc.
- The first collateralized fund obligation transaction involving rated, Rule 144A securities to close since 2006.
- Aviv REIT’s merger with Omega Healthcare Investors, Inc.
Bridget also regularly advises on the tax aspects of manager level partnership agreements and the tax considerations for tax-exempt investors in alternative assets including unrelated business taxable income (UBTI).
Bridget is recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. 2013 and 2016 for Investment Fund Formation and Management. She is an active member of the firm’s Retirement Plans Committee.
Admissions & Certifications
- New York
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1988 (cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Georgetown University, B.S., B.A., 1985 (cum laude)