JOE PARAL is a partner in the Chicago office. His practice focuses on federal income tax matters with an emphasis on cross-border investments and activities. Joe also regularly advises investment managers of, and investors in, hedge funds and private equity funds with respect to tax considerations of fund formations and investments.
Examples of Joe’s experience include representation of:
- Athora Holding, a Bermuda-based insurance and reinsurance group providing specialty solutions to the European insurance market founded by Apollo Global Management and Athene Holding, in its formation and initial capitalization of over €2.1 billion.
- Apollo Global Management in the acquisition of Catalina Holdings, the run-off insurance specialist.
- Athene Holding, a leading retirement services and life insurance holding company that is sponsored by Apollo Global Management, in its $1.24 billion initial public offering of Class A common shares listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- A sovereign wealth fund on private fund investments and co-investments.
Admissions & Certifications
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2007
- University of Illinois, B.S., 2002 (with distinction)