PERRY SHWACHMAN is the leader of Sidley’s global Insurance group, and a member of the firm’s Management Committee and Executive Committee. He regularly counsels clients on a wide variety of matters involving the insurance industry. His clients include insurance companies, commercial and investment banks, investment managers and other financial institutions that transact with insurance companies.
For over 30 years he has advised clients on merger and acquisition, reinsurance, securities, insurance securitization, private equity, lending, derivative, structured product, structured investment vehicle and stable value transactions, as well as on insurance regulatory matters. Perry has been at the forefront in the development of life insurance securitizations and has helped structure some of the first embedded value, redundant reserve financing and catastrophic mortality linked securities transactions. In addition to life and health insurance, he also has substantial experience with property and casualty, financial guaranty and mortgage insurance matters.
Perry has been recognized by Chambers USA-America’s Leading Business Lawyers, PLC Cross-border Insurance and Reinsurance Handbook, and The Legal 500 US, and was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012–2019 in the field of insurance. In 2016, he received the International Law Office Client Choice Award for Insurance in Illinois, and received the Award for Insurance & Reinsurance (U.S.) in 2012. The Client Choice Award recognizes the “ability to add real value to clients’ business above and beyond the other players in the market” and winners may only be nominated by corporate counsel.
Perry was a certified public accountant (no longer active), having received a bronze medal for passing the 1983 CPA examination with the third highest score in the State of Illinois.
Recent examples of Perry’s experience include representation of:
- Athene Holding in the reinsurance of a $27 billion block of annuities from Jackson National Life Insurance Company, and a $500 million indirect equity investment in Jackson.
- Athene Holding in its $1.55 billion combination common share exchange with and sale of common shares to Apollo Global Management. The transaction also involves the elimination of Athene’s multi-class share structure.
- Athene Holding and Apollo Global Management in the formation and capitalization of Athene Co-Invest Reinsurance Affiliate 1A, Ltd. (ACRA), a long-duration, on-demand capital vehicle funded by Athene and certain investment funds managed by Apollo.
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.6 billion acquisition of publicly traded Aspen Insurance Holdings.
- Apollo Global Management and Varde Partners in the acquisition of Fortress Investment Group’s ownership in OneMain Financial for $1.4 billion.
- Aquiline Capital in the acquisition of Armour Group and the related $500 million equity financing.
- Apollo Global Management and Athene Holding in the acquisition from Voya Financial of Voya Insurance and Annuity Company, including Voya’s closed block variable annuity business, for approximately $500 million, and Athene’s agreement to reinsure $19 billion of Voya’s fixed and fixed indexed annuity liabilities.
- The Hartford in the sale of its life insurance and annuity businesses for $2.05 billion to an investor group that included Global Atlantic, Cornell Capital, TRB Advisors, Pine Brook and J. Safra Group.
- Apollo Global Management in the acquisition of Catalina Holdings.
- Athene Holding in its $1.24 billion initial public offering.
- Genworth in the sale of its lifestyle protection insurance business to AXA for €465 million.
- The Hartford in the sale of its Japanese variable annuity business to ORIX for $1.4 billion.
- Athene Holding in its acquisition of Aviva USA for $1.55 billion and simultaneous sale by Athene of the Aviva USA life insurance business to Global Atlantic.
Admissions & Certifications
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1986 (cum laude)
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1983 (with highest honors)