JEFFREY N. SMITH is a partner in the M&A and Private Equity practice in Sidley’s Chicago office. He serves as co-leader of the firm’s Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs) group.
Jeffrey represents private equity funds and corporate clients on a broad range of M&A, governance and securities matters, including mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, divestitures, restructurings, equity investments and joint ventures. He has significant experience in transactions involving special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs) and in cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions. Jeffrey has led transactions in a wide range of industry sectors, including transportation, infrastructure, basic materials, construction, industrial products, distribution, healthcare, consumer products, retail, technology, and service businesses.
Notable matters include advising:
- Hennessy Capital Investment Corp.V in its agreement to a $3.3 billion business combination with Plus (formerly Plus.ai)
- Apex Clearing Holdings in its pending $4.7 billion business combination with Northern Star Investment Corp. II
- Hennessy Capital Acquisition Corp. IV in its $2.4 billion business combination with Canoo Holdings Ltd.
- Beacon Roofing Supply in the $850 million acquisition of its Interior Products Business by Foundation Building Materials
- MP Materials in its $1.5 billion business combination with Fortress Value Acquisition Corp.
- MI Windows and Doors in its $725 million acquisition of Milgard Windows and Doors from Masco
- Beacon Roofing Supply in its $2.7 billion acquisition of Allied Building Products from CRH
- Hennessy Capital Acquisition Corp. III in its $750 million business combination with NRC Group, a portfolio company of J. F. Lehman
- Hennessy Capital Acquisition Corp. II in its $700 million business combination with Daseke
- Beacon Roofing Supply in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Roofing Supply Group from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
- Hennessy Capital Acquisition Corp. in its $500 million business combination with Blue Bird Bus Company, a portfolio company of Cerberus Capital
- Bregal Partners, CHS Private Equity, LaSalle Capital, Prospect Partners, ShoreView Industries, among other private equity funds and family offices, in numerous acquisition and disposition transactions
Jeffrey has been recognized in the field of Corporate/M&A & Private Equity by Chambers USA-America’s Leading Business Lawyers and is listed a “Best Lawyer” in The Best Lawyers in America in Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law.