Commercial and recreational usage of unmanned aircraft systems, or “drones,” has increased dramatically in recent years. This makes it essential for companies and individuals to understand the many legal considerations surrounding the development and implementation of this emerging technology. Sidley’s transportation lawyers are well-suited to handle complex matters worldwide on behalf of drone investors, manufacturers, designers and users. With substantial experience in the aviation sector, we regularly advise clients on compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and state requirements. Our team has an insider’s perspective with seasoned litigators from the U.S. Department of Justice who have successfully represented the FAA in more than 30 different aviation cases. We also counsel clients on a wide range of drone-related issues, including privacy and data protection, intellectual property, product liability and other aviation issues.
Recent work includes representing:
- Companies seeking to operate drones for commercial purposes under the FAA’s Part 107 and Section 333.
- A major Asian manufacturing company in negotiations to purchase substantial patent assets from a company in the drone space.
- A European startup with a fleet of drones on its IP strategy.
- Airport officials with respect to certain regulations pertaining to drones.
- An insurance company on regulatory issues relating to insurance coverage for drones.