PETER WHITFIELD assists his clients with environmental issues during project development and operation. He helps companies navigate citizen suits, enforcement actions, regulatory proceedings and challenges to their environmental clearances. Peter also handles a variety of administrative litigation matters on behalf of clients. With over a decade of experience, Peter has extensive knowledge of the Clean Air Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Endangered Species Act, National Historic Preservation Act, Administrative Procedure Act and numerous other federal and state laws. Peter was rated by Super Lawyers in 2020 following listings as a Rising Star in its 2014–2017 editions.
Peter’s recent experience includes:
- Representing a petroleum refiner as an intervenor in litigation involving issues under the Renewable Fuel Standard.
- Assisting petroleum refiner clients with compliance issues under the Renewable Fuel Standard and other fuels regulations.
- Representing an energy infrastructure client in litigation challenging the permitting and environmental review of a transboundary pipeline project. The litigation involves legal issues arising under the APA, NEPA, and ESA.
- Representing a foreign country with regulatory issues under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.
Prior to joining Sidley, Peter was an environmental lawyer at a large international law firm where he represented clients in the steel, energy, natural resource and agricultural industries. He also gained significant litigation experience in his role as a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Natural Resources Section, winning the department’s Outstanding Performance Award in 2010.
Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- District of Columbia
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa - William S. Richardson School of Law, J.D., 2006 (cum laude)
- Duke University, B.A., 2001
- William L. Osteen Jr, U.S. District Court, M.D. of North Carolina (2007 - 2008)
- William L. Osteen Sr., U.S. District Court, M.D. of North Carolina (2006 - 2007)