PAUL J. BELLO is a member of Sidley’s global Securities Enforcement and Regulatory practice, which received the 2019 Chambers USA Award for Financial Services Regulation, and which was named the “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation in 2020 and 2017 by U.S. News – Best Lawyers. He represents individuals, public companies, private funds, and financial services firms in connection with investigations and enforcement actions by the Department of Justice, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB). He also conducts internal investigations and advises firms on regulatory compliance matters.
Representative engagements include:
- Defending public companies and management in automotive parts, technology, and biomedical sectors in SEC accounting and disclosure investigations.
- Conducting internal investigations of whistleblower complaints for alleged accounting, disclosure, internal controls, and recordkeeping violations.
- Conducting internal investigations to identify material nonpublic information, and counseling clients on insider trading guidance.
- Representing a private fund executive in SEC investigation concerning alleged securities offering violations.
- Counseling fund managers concerning compliance with reporting requirements of Section 13 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Prior to joining Sidley, Paul worked as a legal intern with the Market Abuse Unit in the SEC’s Division of Enforcement. He also worked as a legal intern with FINRA’s Enforcement Department.