CLIFF VRIELINK has over 30 years of experience advising private equity, infrastructure and other financial investors, public companies and private companies actively engaging or investing in the infrastructure and energy industries. He represents clients throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Africa, and Europe with respect to their interests in the oil and gas, power, telecommunications, waste and water, and other infrastructure sectors.
Cliff has deep experience in the growing range of traditional and emerging infrastructure sectors, including telecommunications, digital and data, water, waste, logistics, and transportation. He also has decades of experience spanning the energy spectrum, from the upstream oil and gas sector (onshore, offshore and internationally) to the midstream sector (natural gas, crude oil, liquids and CO2 pipelines processing facilities and gas and liquids storage assets) to the downstream sector (refining, marketing and distribution), as well as spanning power generation, oilfield service and energy trading. Cliff provides clients with essential guidance on their approach to the energy transition.
Cliff is a member of Sidley’s Executive Committee, serves as the co-managing partner of the Houston office, and is the global leader of the Energy, Transportation and Infrastructure practice. He is also a member of the firm’s M&A and Private Equity practices.
Cliff has advised on more than 30 transactions with a combined value of over US$22 billion since 2021. Recent representative matters include:
- Represented Stonepeak in the acquisition of a minority common equity interest and a preferred equity interest in CoreSite, a data center company with a significant presence in eight major U.S. markets, from American Tower for US$2.5 billion.
- Represented GIC, OMERS Infrastructure and Wren House in their purchase of Direct ChassisLink, Inc. (DCLI) from funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management and EQT. DCLI is one of the largest chassis lessors in the U.S. with over 151,000 marine and 100,000 domestic chassis in its fleet, DCLI operates out of strategic locations across key port and rail terminals in the U.S.
- Represented Enbridge, Inc. in its transaction with Encap Flatrock Midstream to acquire Moda Midstream Operating, LLC, including North America’s largest crude export terminal, for US$3 billion in cash.
- Represented Macquarie Infrastructure Partners (MIP) in its acquisition of 100% of the equity interests of RailUSA, LLC, an independent U.S. holding company that operates the 430-mile Florida Gulf & Atlantic Railroad in Florida and the 228-mile Grenada Railroad in Mississippi and Tennessee.
- Represented Key Capture Energy, LLC, a developer of large-scale energy storage projects, in an agreement to be acquired by SK E&S Co., Ltd.
Strong leadership in advising clients has earned Cliff acknowledgment in numerous industry publications. He is currently ranked in Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) – USA (2022–2024), as well as in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional), Corporate/M&A – Texas (2017–2023), and recognized in the area of Private Equity: Buyouts – Texas (2021–2023). Cliff has also been selected as a leading Energy lawyer in Who’s Who Legal for 2019 and is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for his work in Energy Law. Additionally he has been showcased in Euromoney’s 2018 Energy and Environment Expert Guide, as well as named to Texas Lawyer’s 2020 “Texas Trailblazers” list and recognized in Oil & Gas Investor, Midstream Business and E&P Magazine. He has also been featured in The Oil and Gas Investor, Midstream Business, Houston Business Journal, The Oil & Gas Journal, and other publications for his thought leadership.