JIM WEDEKING is an environmental litigator, representing large companies in the defense of criminal and civil enforcement actions, toxic tort defense, and complex civil litigation. A key aspect of Jim’s practice includes developing an involved understanding of how a client’s facilities and operations function, given the complex scientific and technical issues that are typically the subject of litigation. These clients have included large companies in the oil and gas, electric power, chemical manufacturing, mining, and automotive industries.
Selected representations include:
- Defending an international pest control company on federal criminal charges as well as related civil actions by an Attorney General and private plaintiffs alleging tort claims and violations of racketeering statutes.
- Representing a natural gas pipeline company in multi-forum Clean Water Act and NEPA litigation related to the construction of an interstate natural gas pipeline.
- Representing an aftermarket parts company in an EPA investigation into Clean Air Act Title II compliance.
- Represented an electric power company in a federal criminal investigation into coal ash discharges and NPDES permit violations.
- Lead counsel for a commodities trading company in toxic tort litigation involving alleged MTBE contamination in California, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Jim has significant experience aiding clients in criminal and civil investigations, including responses to grand jury subpoenas and federal agency information requests. This experience helps reduce the burden of response for clients while targeted internal investigations aid in resolving potential compliance issues. Jim’s work on environmental litigation has earned him recognition as a Rising Star in environmental litigation in 2014 and 2015 by Washington D.C. Super Lawyers magazine.