JOSEPH GOTTLIEB is a partner in Sidley’s Insurance practice in New York. He represents insurance companies, financial institutions and investors in a broad range of transactions involving the insurance industry. Joe has extensive experience advising issuers and underwriters in insurance securitizations, such as catastrophe bond and reinsurance sidecar transactions and other insurance-linked securities. His practice also involves insurance company mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and other insurance and reinsurance transactions. In 2018, Joe was named the inaugural “Best in Insurance & Reinsurance” winner at the Euromoney LMG Americas Rising Stars Awards.
Recent examples of Joe’s experience include representation of:
- Swiss Re, Munich Re and GC Securities in The World Bank’s $320 million pandemic catastrophe bond, named “Life Transaction of the Year” at the Trading Risk Awards 2018, “Securitization and Structured Finance Deal of the Year” at the IFLR Americas Awards 2018 and “Matter of the Year” at the Euromoney LMG Americas Rising Stars Awards 2018.
- The New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority in its $125 million storm surge and earthquake catastrophe bond, named “ILS Deal of the Year” at the Reactions North America Awards 2017.
- Swiss Re and Citigroup in The World Bank’s $1.36 billion Mexico, Chile, Columbia and Peru earthquake catastrophe bond, named “ILS Transaction of the Year” at the Reactions North America Awards 2019.
- Munich Re in its $300 million Eden Re II (2018-1) reinsurance sidecar and $400 million Leo Re (2018-1) reinsurance sidecar.
- Jefferson National Financial in the sale of Jefferson National Life Insurance Company and certain of its affiliates to Nationwide Mutual.
- Swiss Re as sponsor in connection with multiple catastrophe bond offerings.