MARK A. POOLE is a partner in Sidley’s New York Real Estate group and primarily practices in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of commercial properties (including full/limited service hotels and resorts, seniors housing (including ILC, MC, ALF, SNF), data centers, fiber and tower assets, retail centers, office buildings/medical office buildings, multifamily projects, mixed use projects and commercial condominiums) and vacant land, formation and advising real estate joint ventures, the origination, syndication, purchase and sale of commercial real estate loans (including participations, A/B Notes and Master Repurchase Facilities) and real estate loan and equity work-outs/restructuring.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Representation of common and preferred equity investors in connection with the development of The Times Square Edition.
- Representation of citizenM in developments and financings in New York City.
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with the acquisition, joint venture and repositioning of multiple seniors housing facilities across the United States.
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with the acquisition, development and joint venture arrangements for a ground up development of a seniors housing facility in Washington, D.C.
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with the financing of a medical office building and related office/retail space in North Carolina.
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with the acquisition, development and joint venture arrangements for a ground up development of medical office buildings and related facilities in North Carolina.
- Representation of a joint venture acquisition of a 110 building apartment portfolio, including the origination and assumption of approximately $380 Million of secured financing, structuring and documentation of the joint venture and preferred equity, and matters related thereto.
- Representation of the sellers of a 36 apartment building portfolio in New York, and a portfolio of buildings in Ohio.
- Representation of Delta Airlines in connection with the leasing, redevelopment and financing of a $1.4 billion terminal expansion at JFK International Airport.
- Representation of a real estate fund in various equity investments in the acquisition, development and/or repositioning of office properties, hotel properties and vacant land, as well as work-outs and restructurings related to similar investments.
- Representation of a hotel REIT in connection with the structuring and refinancing of its bond facility and credit enhancement for its hotel located at Boston Harbor.
- Representation of a real estate fund in the acquisition of the “private owner” equity interests in two FDIC loan pools aggregating approximately $300 Million and structuring and documentation of the joint venture arrangements in connection therewith.
- Representation of various organizations in the origination of mortgage and mezzanine loans, the purchase and sale of loans (including A/B notes and participation interests), and the restructuring of distressed debt.
- Representation of a real estate fund in multiple master repurchase facilities for loan portfolio financing.
In addition, Mr. Poole has assisted clients in the roll-up of portfolios (including multiple hotel assets, debt assets and other portfolios) in connection with REIT formation, has advised clients on their rights and remedies under various transaction documentation, and has assisted clients in work-outs and restructurings of the types of debt instruments described above and foreclosures of commercial real estate loans.