Real Estate Litigation
Sidley’s real estate litigation lawyers complement our transactional practice in representing clients in all varieties of disputes involving real estate and real estate transactions pending in state, federal and bankruptcy courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings and other forums. Our real estate litigators have extensive experience representing REITs and other real estate investors and owners, real estate developers, title companies and institutional capital providers (of both debt and equity), including national banks, investment banks, opportunity funds, hedge funds and liquidating portfolios.
Sidley routinely represents clients in disputes and litigation involving the following areas:
- Real estate investments
- Real estate development or construction projects
- Leases and related agreements
- Title insurance
- Commercial loan securitizations
- Fraudulent conveyance claims
- Lender liability claims
- Real estate-related contract, tort, fraudulent conveyance and lender liability claims
- Workouts, restructuring and other litigation concerning underperforming loans, including foreclosure proceedings, both judicial and non-judicial, receiverships and actions to enforce guaranties and pledge agreements
- Bankruptcy proceedings (adversary and otherwise)
Sidley’s real estate litigation experience spans numerous industries, including hotels, casinos, golf courses, resorts, nursing homes and healthcare facilities, condominiums and multi-unit buildings, office and retail space, and planned residential and mixed use communities. In addition to representing clients during all stages of litigation, including at trial and in appeals, our real estate litigation lawyers also regularly advise with other practitioners in Syndicated and Leveraged Finance and Restructuring regarding potential transactions and disputes, workouts and restructuring agreements, bankruptcy reorganization and other proceedings.