One of the first law firms to have a dedicated national Supreme Court and Appellate practice, with a team widely recognized for its leadership in addressing novel and often intricate questions of federal and state law, Sidley represents clients before the United States Supreme Court, all federal courts of appeals and state appellate and supreme courts.
Supreme Court and Appellate
Partnerkakowuah@sidley.com +1 202 736 8739Washington, D.C.
Partnerrhochman@sidley.com +1 312 853 2936Chicago
We bring value to our clients in the following ways:
- Unparalleled Supreme Court experience. Since the inception of the practice in 1985, the team, including more than 20 former Supreme Court clerks, has briefed over 220 cases on the merits and argued 120 cases before the Court. The firm has represented clients on virtually every type of federal legal issue before the Court. Sidley’s Carter Phillips has argued 87 cases in the Supreme Court and is recognized as one of the Court’s premier practitioners.
- A resoundingly deep bench. Since 2000, eight other Sidley lawyers have argued cases in the Court. Sidley lawyers argued six cases in the October 2013 Term, including three in what the National Law Journal called “Sidley Austin week at the Supreme Court.”
- Exceptional federal appellate experience. Members of our team have appeared in every federal court of appeals, as well as numerous state appellate courts. Since January 2010, members of the Supreme Court and Appellate practice filed briefs in more than 350 cases in the United States Courts of Appeals, presenting argument in almost 60 percent of the appeals. Our lawyers have argued more than 590 cases in federal appellate courts since 1985.
Sidley has been named in 2021 for a fourteenth time to The National Law Journal’s “Appellate Hot List.”
Recognition for Our Practice
Numerous industry publications and guides have commended our advocacy on behalf of our clients, including the 2014 Benchmark Litigation U.S. Awards, in which Sidley was named “Appellate Firm of the Year.” Benchmark Litigation also ranked the group in its top tier of nationwide Appellate practices in its 2016 directory. The 2015 edition of Chambers USA ranked the Supreme Court and Appellate group in its top-tier of nationwide practices, and the California appellate team among the best in the state. Sidley was named for a tenth consecutive time in 2017 to the National Law Journal’s “Appellate Hot List,” and Law360 recognized Sidley’s Supreme Court and Appellate group as one of its “Practice Groups of the Year.” In U.S. News & World Reports’ most recent “Best Law Firms” survey, Sidley again received more first-tier national rankings than any other firm in the country—including a first-tier ranking for our Supreme Court and Appellate practice. Sidley’s Supreme Court and appellate work also has been featured in USA Today, Business Week, Legal Times and Metropolitan Corporate Counsel.
Areas of Focus
- Administrative Law Appeals
- Commercial Litigation Appeals
- Communications Law Appeals
- Energy and Transportation Law Appeals
- Environmental Appeals
- ERISA Appellate Litigation
- EU Litigation and Appellate
- Financial, Securities and Accountants Liability Appeals
- First Amendment Law
- Insurance and Reinsurance Appeals
- Labor, Employment and Employee Benefits Appeals
- Patent and Intellectual Property Rights Appeals
- Pro Bono Appeals
- Products Liability and Class Actions Appeals