More than 30 years ago, Sidley made the strategic decision to develop a team of lawyers across the firm dedicated to protecting the reputations and livelihoods of fellow professionals. Emphasizing our geographically seamless, team-based approach, we partner with our accounting and professional services clients around the world to provide innovative solutions to all of their immediate business needs, while also being mindful of issues that may arise in the future.
Accountants and Professional Liability
Partnerdgordon@sidley.com +1 312 853 7159Chicago
Partnermwarden@sidley.com +1 202 736 8080Washington, D.C.
To best serve our clients in today’s complex and highly regulated environment, our lawyers have the skills and experience to address the full range of threats, including:
- The scrutiny of regulators such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) and state boards of accountancy;
- The wide range of claims asserted in civil litigation, including federal securities claims and professional liability claims; and
- The increasingly complex implications of international and cross-border engagements.
Through the years, Sidley has earned recognition as a trusted adviser to each of the “Big Four” accounting firms, many of the next largest accounting firms and numerous professional services firms in the United States, the Asia Pacific region, Europe and Latin America.
Our team of more than 40 lawyers has handled numerous high-profile matters, including cases arising out of the Madoff scheme, the inability of Chinese accounting firms to produce audit workpapers directly to U.S. litigators, and alleged frauds at Enron, HealthSouth, New Century, Parmalat and Worldcom.
Our experience in the defense of accounting and professional services firms and their partners and employees includes trial victories in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels, administrative law judges of the SEC, hearing officers of the PCAOB and state regulatory adjudicators. In total, we have handled hundreds of matters in more than two-thirds of the 50 United States. We also remain dedicated, wherever possible, to resolving matters before our clients face unnecessary and unwanted publicity.
About Our Team
Members of Sidley’s Accountants and Professional Liability practice have been recognized as leading practitioners by numerous industry publications, including Chambers USA, The Legal 500, Best Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation and The National Law Journal. Our team also features many former officials from the SEC, including a general counsel, chief counsel and senior policy advisor in the SEC’s Office of International Affairs, an enforcement counsel to the chairman of the SEC, a senior trial counsel for the SEC’s Pacific Regional Office and senior members of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement.
Areas of Focus
- Government Contracting, Bid Protests and the False Claims Act
- International Accountants Liability Experience
- Professional Liability Litigation Against Accountants
- Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
- Section 10A
- Securities Litigation Against Accountants
- Government and Regulatory Investigations Concerning Accountants
- Law Firm Representation
- SEC Disclosure
- UK Accountancy Investigations and Enforcement