HEATHER BENZMILLER SULTANIAN represents clients in arbitrations and courts across the country, and at all stages of litigation, from pre-complaint investigation to trial and appeal. Her practice focuses on securities litigation and complex business disputes, and she has represented both major corporations and small companies in matters involving securities laws and regulations, breach of contract, business torts, and related claims.
Heather’s recent representative matters include:
- Representation of a Fortune 20 healthcare company in a federal securities class action and related derivative lawsuit in the Northern District of Illinois
- Representation of a leading accounting firm in securities litigation in the Southern District of New York
- Representation of a mortgage company in litigation with a former loan officer in Illinois state court regarding claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Representation of a financial services company in an appeal to the First Circuit of a class certification order and judgement on breach of contract claims
- Representation of a leading consulting firm in federal litigation regarding breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, products liability, and negligence claims in Florida state court, resulting in dismissal of all claims
- Representation of a major accounting firm in class action litigation in the Southern District of New York regarding claims arising under Title VII
- Representation of an energy company in a five-day bankruptcy trial, resulting in a favorable order confirming the client’s proposed plan of reorganization
Heather also maintains an active pro bono practice. Among other matters, she has represented a veteran in his appeal of a denial of benefits for service-related disabilities, an inmate who challenged the constitutionality of a state’s execution procedure, and an inmate who challenges the constitutionality of the state’s provision of medical care.
Heather’s experience includes managing complex electronic discovery; responding to subpoenas and other regulatory demands; drafting dispositive motions, appellate briefs, and other pleadings; opposing class certification; taking and defending depositions; preparing fact and expert witnesses to testify at deposition and trial; and examining witnesses at trial.
Prior to joining the firm, Heather clerked for the Honorable Karen Nelson Moore of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Heather graduated from Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, where she served as Articles Editor on the Northwestern University Law Review. Heather is also a member of the Field Associates, an organization of young professionals committed to supporting the mission of the Field Museum. She is also an active member of Sidley’s Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women.