Sidley’s global Restructuring group is a recognized market leader in handling large-scale, cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific. With offices located in key business centers around the world, we represent a variety of stakeholders — including debtors, private equity sponsors, lenders, creditors, and committees — in complex, cross-border restructurings.
Sidley is ranked among the leading restructuring practices in the U.S. and globally by Chambers USA 2023, Global Restructuring Review 2022, Chambers UK 2023, Chambers Europe/Germany 2023, and Chambers Global 2023. The firm was named “Restructuring Team of the Year” at the 2023 Legal Business Awards, and was shortlisted for 2023 Bankruptcy “Law Firm of the Year” by Chambers USA.
“The cross-border work is very well organised and in the best interest of Sidley’s clients.”
Chambers Global 2023, Global: Multi-Jurisdictional – Restructuring/Insolvency
Ranked among the prestigious GRR 30 — the world’s leading law firms for cross-border restructuring and insolvency according to Global Restructuring Review — our team is at the forefront of many industry-defining matters that are shaping the global restructuring market.
We are well-positioned to act for industry stakeholders across the capital structure, offering a deep understanding of the legal and commercial nuances that are inherent in international restructuring and insolvency regimes. Our ability to quickly assemble coordinated teams from across Sidley’s multidisciplinary practice areas allows us to yield innovative solutions that preserve and maximize value, protect jobs, and drive consensus with stakeholders.
Select representations of our cross-border experience include the following.
- Represented Modern Land (China) Co., Limited, a real estate developer focused on the development of eco-friendly residences in the People’s Republic of China, in the restructuring of its US$1.34 billion offshore dollar-denominated notes.
- Represented a group of financial industry leaders with over US$600 million of loans made to Samarco Mineracão S.A., a Brazilian producer of iron ore pellets and a joint venture between Vale and BHP. In 2015, one of Samarco’s tailings dams broke. This matter involved significant and novel international law issues spanning the U.S., Brazil, and Japan.
- Represented China Fortune Land Development Co., Ltd. in the complex restructuring of its US$4.96 billion of offshore debt. Jurisdictions involved include England, the Cayman Islands, and China.
- Represented Travelex on the completion of its financial and operational restructuring, reducing its secured financial indebtedness from over £385 million to £160 million.
- Represented GLAS in financial list proceedings related to US$1 Billion restructuring of the Galapagos Group seeking declaratory relief to validate the c. US$1 billion multi-jurisdictional financial restructuring of the Galapagos Group.
- Represented The Learning Network on the completion of its sale to the Dutch investment company, Intersaction and its associated restructuring.
- Advised Merced Capital on the financial restructuring of the Telford Offshore Group.
- Represented Global Loan Agency Services Limited and GLAS Trust Corporation Limited on the restructuring of the financial indebtedness of, and the granting of new security by Nynas AB, a Sweden-based oil refinery business.
- Represented RiseSun Real Estate Development Co., Limited and its subsidiaries in the restructuring of the group’s offshore dollar-denominated notes. RiseSun is one of the first real estate debtors in the region to complete its restructuring.
- Represented Guangzhou R&F Properties Co., Ltd. on the restructuring of its 10 series of U.S. dollar-denominated notes with an aggregate outstanding principal amount of approximately US$4.9 billion.
Sidley is widely recognized by clients and peers alike as first-in-class for its cross-border capabilities, garnering top rankings and awards around the world.
IFLR Europe Awards 2023
Restructuring Deal of the Year, Finalist – Schur Flexibles
China Business Law Journal Awards 2023
A “Firm of the Year” – Restructuring & Insolvency
Law.com International – Asia Legal Awards 2023
Restructuring and Insolvency Deal of the Year, Shortlisted – Philippine Airlines restructuring
2023 Legal Business Awards
“Restructuring Team of the Year”
Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Europe Awards 2021
Sidley was named winner in the highly prestigious “Innovation in rescue, restructuring and recovery (Law firm)" category at the 2021 FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Europe. The firm was recognized for its representation of Travelex, the world’s largest foreign exchange bureau, on the completion of its financial and operational restructuring.