MIKE BETTINGER is a partner in Sidley’s San Francisco office and heads the firm’s West Coast IP Litigation practice. Mike is a leading national trial lawyer for patent and intellectual property cases. He has tried 25 cases to verdict, securing notable jury trial wins in Federal courts throughout the U.S. for premier technology companies in the telecommunications, computer, software, semiconductor and healthcare industries.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business has recognized Mike as a leader in Intellectual Property every year since 2013.
- The Daily Journal has recognized Mike as one of “California’s Top 100 Lawyers” on three different occasions, and as one of the “Top 50 IP Litigators” every year since 2007.
- The Daily Journal named Mike among its 2019 “Top Trade Secrets Lawyers,” a list that comprises of fewer than 20 elite trade secret lawyers.
- Mike has been named among The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2015 and among Best Lawyers in Northern California for Intellectual Property Litigation every year since 2004.
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020 edition named Mike “Lawyer of The Year” for Trademark Law.
- Managing IP has recognized Mike as a “Patent Star” of 2019 in the Medical Devices category.
- Mike’s jury defense verdict for Baxter Healthcare in a patent trial against CareFusion in 2012 in the Southern District of California was selected as a “Top 10 Defense Verdict” by the Daily Journal.
- Mike’s jury defense verdict for Abercrombie & Fitch in a trademark trial against Levi Strauss & Co. in the Northern District of California was selected as a “Top Ten Defense Verdict” by the Daily Journal in 2009.
Admissions & Certifications
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1983 (White Scholar)
- St. Joseph's College, B.S., 1980 (Valedictorian, Academic All-America)
- John L. Coffey, U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit (1983 - 1985)